Wintry Crafts and Books
At November 20th's Handmade Crafternoon, guest Jodi Kahn (author of, most recently Simply Sublime Gifts) provided some great inspiration on how to transform vintage images from the Library’s Digital Gallery into handsewn ornaments, card holders, sachets, and more. Big thanks from Maura and me go out: to Jodi for her guidance; to local independent bookshop Word for selling both Jodi’s new book and Maura’s book too during the event; and to June Tailor for providing the printable fabric sheets that we used in our projects. And of course, Maura and I are immensely thankful for all of you who came out to be part of the Library’s DIY community as you sewed, shared ideas, and browsed the selection of vintage craft and holiday books I gathered for the day. For those who might want to find one of these books again in the future, I’ve listed the books I had out that day below.
And for those of you interested in attending future events like this one, you’ll find details on our future Handmade Crafternoon dates—December 18, February 5, March 5, April 2, and May 7—on the Library’s calendar. Now, here's that wintry booklist:
Books about Winter & Winter Activities:
- Winter Science Activities: Experiments and Projects John M. Youngpeter. Illustrated by Gardner J. Ryan.
- Out of Doors in Winter written and illustrated by C. J. Hylander.
- The Sleighs of My Childhood = Les traîneaux de mon enfance Carlo Italiano.
- Winter-Sleeping Wildlife Will Barker. Illustrated by Carl Burger.
- Where They Go in Winter written and illustrated by Margaret Waring Buck.
- Dorothy Hamill: Olympic Champion Elizabeth Van Steenwyk.
- Peggy Fleming by Charles and Ann Morse. Illustrated by Harold Henriksen.
- Skating in the Arts of 17th Century Holland… Laurinda S. Dixon.
- The Big Snow Berta and Elmer Hader.
- Now That Days are Colder Aileen Fisher. Designed and illustrated by Gordon Laite. Lettering by Paul Taylor.
Books about the Holidays
- Red Letter Days; A Book of Holiday Customs E. H. Sechrist. Illustrations by Elsie Jane McCorkell.
- Festivals for You to Celebrate Susan Purdy.
- Gobble: The Complete Book of Thanksgiving Words Lynda Graham-Barber. Pictures by Betsy Lewin.
- Thanksgiving Day written and illustrated by Gail Gibbons.
- The Gift of Christmas Past: a return to Victorian traditions Sunny O'Neil. Drawings by Dennis O'Neil.
- Brandreth's Christmas Book Gyles Brandreth. Drawings by David Farris.
- The Christmas Tree Book: The History of the Christmas Tree and Antique Christmas Tree Ornaments Phillip V. Snyder. Photos by Roy Coggin.
- Merry Christmas! Celebrating America's Greatest Holiday Karal Ann Marling.
Books with Holiday-Themed Handicrafts
- December Decorations; A Holiday How-To Book by Peggy Parish. Illustrated by Barbara Wolff.
- Christmas Magic; The Art of Making Decorations & Ornaments written and illustrated by Margaret Curtiss Perry.
- Special Holidays Handbook Sandi Veranos [et al.]. Illustrated by Helen Endres.
- Let's Make Presents; 100 gifts for less than 1.00 E. R. Hautzig. Illustrated by Ava Morgan.
- Holiday Handicraft written and illustrated by Nina Jordan.
- A Pumpkin in a Pear Tree; creative ideas for twelve months of holiday fun Ann Cole [et al.]. Illustrated by Debby Young.
- Holiday Craft and Fun… Joseph Leeming. Illustrated by Jessie Robinson.
- Party and Holiday Decorations you can make Karen Carlson McCann with Sue T. Garmon. Drawings and photos by Karen Carlson McCann.
- Crafts to Make in the Winter Kathy Ross. Illustrated by Vicky Enright.
- Christmas Crafts & Customs Around the World written and illustrated by Virginie Fowler.