The History of the Snowman…
Check out a new book titled “The History of the Snowman: From the Ice Age to the Flea Market” by Bob Eckstein. (NY: Simon & Schuster, 2007) Some “Fun” facts from the book:
- Height of “Angus King” the world’s largest snowman was 11 stories tall and required nearly four months (15 weeks) to melt.
- The first snowman in print was on an illuminated manuscript describing the Crucifixion of Christ.
- Snowmen were blamed for The Massacre of 1690.
- Snowmen were made as an early form of pornography in The Miracle of 1511.
- De sneeuwpoppen van 1511 is the only book to tell the story of the Miracle of 1511, a Woodstock-like event in which after a famed snowstorm the whole town of Brussels celebrated by making pornographic and political snowmen.