The NYC Veterans Oral History Project: Gerald Brown, Veteran Interview
Gerald Brown recorded his oral history on February 13th, 2013 at the James J. Peters Veteran Affairs Medical Center in Bronx, NY. Mr. Brown was an E-4 in the Army during the Vietnam War. Coming from an Army family, Mr. Brown forged his enlistment papers at 17. While his parents weren't thrilled, they still let him go. Throughout this fascinating interview, Mr. Brown continues to stress, "Not all of Vietnam was bad."
Major points in interview:
- 2:35: 1st kill in Vietnam
- 6:15: Another kill that haunts Brown
- 11:56: "A GI's Prayer," poem by Brown
- 15:30: Return to civilian life
- 22:10: Happy moments in Vietnam
- 25:28: "Not all Vietnam was bad..."