As a service to researchers working in reading rooms at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, and for reasons of safety and security, the Library has placed the following limits on what can be brought into the building.
We require researchers to leave the following items with Library security at our complimentary checkroom at the 42nd Street entrance:
- All bags, backpacks, suitcases, purses, packages and collections of bags that are in excess of 22" x 14" x 10"
- Researchers are not permitted to bring any beverages, liquids, water bottles, or food into the Library
- We encourage researchers to check their coats and other outerwear
- Carts, large bags, bags on wheels, backpacks, or collections of bags that are in excess of 24” x 16” x 12” are prohibited at the Library and cannot be deposited in the checkroom.
- Umbrellas must be checked or placed inside one's bag or in the protective plastic bags provided by the Library
Please note: Special collection reading rooms have additional restrictions which will be communicated to researchers in advance of a visit.
Checked materials must be picked up no later than ten minutes before closing. The Library is not responsible for items left overnight.
All Library visitors must submit all books, bags, briefcases, and other containers for inspection upon exiting the building, including those that were checked during your visit.
All users are expected to comply with these and related policies.