Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

About the Webster Library

Among the oldest libraries in New York City, the Webster Branch has a history that can be traced back to 1893, before its incorporation into The New York Public Library Branch system. Founded as the Webster Free Library, it was named after Charles B. Webster, who donated the building on East 76th Street where the library was originally located. The current site on 78th Street and York Avenue was designed by architects Babb, Cook and Willard, and was constructed with funds donated to New York by Andrew Carnegie.

Opened to the public on October 24, 1906, the three-story facility houses an adult, young adult, and children's collection. While the branch originally served a predominantly Czech immigrant population in the early part of the century, it now serves a diverse community of New Yorkers.

Community District Information
For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.