About the Washington Heights Library
The first Washington Heights Library opened in 1868. The library moved twice before a generous gift from J. Hood Wright, a New York philanthropist, made its collection available free of charge to all residents of Washington Heights. In 1914, the library moved to its present quarters at 1000 St. Nicholas Avenue. The four-story, brick structure designed by Carrère and Hastings, houses an adult, young adult, children's, and reference collection. A multi-use auditorium is available for community group meetings as well as library programs.
Read more about the early history of the New York Public Library, including that of Washington Heights and Inwood:
- History of The New York Public Library, by Harry Miller Lydenberg, available online in our Digital Collections (PDF, 659 MB)
- Washington Heights, Manhattan: Its Eventful Past, by Reginald Pelham Bolton, available online in our Digital Collections (PDF, 47 MB)
Community District Information
For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.