About the Melrose Library
The Melrose Branch of the New York Public Library opened in 1914. Located on Morris Avenue and 162nd Street, it is a busy and active branch in the Bronx.
The branch was one of the many libraries built with funds from Andrew Carnegie. Carrère and Hastings, the architecture firm behind the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building in Manhattan, designed the simple, red-brick structure named for the neighborhood. Though the original structure was four-stories tall, the top two floors were removed during an extensive renovation and modernization in 1959.
Located within walking distance of Yankee Stadium and the borough's thriving court system, this air-conditioned library occupies almost 10,000 square feet and has separate reading rooms for children and adults. The branch serves an ethnically diverse population of approximately 50,000, a quarter of which prefers to read and speak Spanish. Free classes in English are offered.
Community District Information
For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.