Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

About the Kingsbridge Library

Share

Kingsbrige
The branch dates to 1894.

The branch orginated as the Kingsbridge Free Library in 1894. At the time, the library was located above a Hecht's drugstore, and it quickly outgrew its space. When Andrew Carnegie donated $5.2 million to the New York Public Library, the branch was established.

The branch was designed by esteemed architechts McKim, Mead & White and opened in 1905. Three years later, the city extended the IRT subway to West 231 and Broadway, and the northwest Bronx experienced a boom. From 1908 to the 1950s, the branch's collection grew from 4,500 volumes to 30,000. By 1958, the city recognized the need for a bigger building and agreed to provide one three times larger.

In 1959, the building opened at 280 West 231st street. In the years since then, the neighborhood has experienced yet another expansion. The busy library became overcrowded once again, and David W. Prendergast was hired to design the current building located directly across the street.

It now features  two floors with large collections for adults, young adults, and children. There is also a beautiful outdoor garden, a spacious meeting space, a children's story hour room, and numerous computers and laptops for patron use. 

Search for events at this branch.

Early sketch of the branch's newest location.
Carnegie plaque
Andrew Carnegie's plaque.
Kingsbridge
The library's previous location.

Community District Information

For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools and other resources, see here.