About the Epiphany Library
The Epiphany Branch of The New York Public Library has served the Gramercy Park-Stuyvesant Town area since 1887.
Once part of the Cathedral Library Association, the Epiphany branch was founded by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. The current Epiphany Branch building—an elegant Carnegie building—opened on September 29, 1907. It was a major neighborhood cultural and educational source until 1982, when it was closed for nearly two years for an extensive expansion and renovation. The restored library opened on July 16, 1984.
Today, the handsome three-story building is fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs and houses adult, young adult, and children's collections. A modern auditorium—available for community group meetings and library programs—is located on the third floor. In 2007, the children's room was completely renovated to increase shelving, add computers, and create a read-aloud area. The renovation was made possible through a generous gift from Felix G. Rohatyn in honor of his wife, Elizabeth.
Community District Information
For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.