- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Best of the Web: Performing Arts » Recorded Sound
- Audio Preservation Resources (2)
- Copyright Resources for Sound Recordings (1)
- Discographies, Composer (6)
- Discographies, Jazz (1)
- Discographies, Performer (5)
- Education/Training Resources in Audiovisual Archiving & Preservation (2)
- Magazines (20)
- Other Sites of Interest (15)
- Professional Organizations & Societies (7)
- Record Labels (19)
- 78rpm Home Page
- Albany Records
- Arbiter Records
ARChive of Contemporary Music
Non-profit pop music library and research center. Specializes in pop music created since 1950.
- Archive of World Music, Harvard University
- Archives of Traditional Music, Indiana University
- Arhoolie Records
Covers years from 1923-1971.
ARSC Training Resources
To reach the Resources page, on the opening ARSC page, hit the Committees link, and then Education and Training Committee link. Resources compiled by the Education and Training Committee of ARSC(Association for Recorded Sound Collections). Features discussion lists, training courses including distance education(online) classes, organizations, and other related audiovisual archival websites.
- Association for Recorded Sound Collections, Inc. (ARSC)
- Audio Engineering Society
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Belfer Audio Laboratory & Archive, Syracuse University
Bingen, Hildegard von
Comprehensive listing of recordings.
- Blind Pig Records
- Blue Note
- Blues Rhythm: the Gospel Truth
- BMG Entertainment
Comprehensive listing of recordings including non-commercial ones.
- Canadian Antique Phonograph Society
- Columbia Records
Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum Recorded Sound Collection, Nashville, Tennessee
Holdings include approximately 200,000 sound recordings of country and folk music, from cylinders to compact discs. Library also includes books, periodicals, photos, scrapbooks, newsletters, songbooks, videos and films.
- Crystal Records
Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project-University of California, Santa Barbara
Digitized collection of over 6,000 cylinder recordings from the turn of the 20th century, available to be sampled online or downloaded.
Lists basic anthologies containing some Delius works, as well as other recent recordings.
- Dirty Linen
- Discoteca di Stato: National Sound Archive of Italy, Rome
- Early Recorded Sound & Wax Cylinders
Edison National Historic Site
Site of Thomas Edison's home and laboratories.
Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings
Index to master recordings (matrixes) and published discs, made by the Victor Talking Machine Company beginning with 1900. Includes recordings made in U.S., Central & South America releases from masters recorded in Europe by Gramophone Company test recordings.Eventually database will extend to the early 1950s.
- EQ Magazine
- Finnish Institute of Recorded Sound
Comprehensive listing of published recordings with link to non-commercial/unpublished recordings.
- Glinka State Central Museum of Musical Culture, Moscow
- Harmonia Mundi
- Hi-Fi Choice
- Historical Sound Recordings Collection, Yale University
- Institute of Jazz Studies (The John Cotton Dana Library at The Rutgers State University of New Jersey, Newark)
- Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers University
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA)
- International Piano Archives at Maryland, University of Maryland at College Park
Irish Traditional Music Archive
National reference archive for the traditional song, instrumental music and dance of Ireland. Contains extensive holdings of non-commercial and commercial sound recordings, videos, DVDs, books, serials, sheet music, ballad sheets, photographs.
Includes listing of known broadcasts and concert tapings not published commercially.
- Journal of the Audio Engineering Society
- Latin American Rhythm Magazine
- Library of Congress Recorded Sound Reference Center
- Library of Congress: Sound Recordings from the American Memory Project
- Louis Armstrong Archives, Benjamin S. Rosenthal Library, Queens College
- Louis Armstrong House and Archives
Machaut, Guillaume de
Comprehensive listing of recordings including section on discographical methodology.
Includes selected audio-video excerpts from Marian Anderson's performances and interviews, as well as a sampling of photos, scores and papers from her Archives, which is housed in the University of Pennsylvania Library.
- Marr Sound Archives, University of Missouri, Kansas City
Features recordings on piano roll, 78rpm, LP, reel-to reel, 45rpm, CD, VHS, DVD. Includes selected audio files for listening.
Matrix and Catalog Numbers in Gilbert and Sullivan Discography
Discusses origin and evolution of matrix numbers, early recording and playback equipment and early history of the Gramophone Company.
- Michigan Antique Phonograph Society
- Microphone Records, Latvia
Music of Puerto Rico
Bi-lingual site(English and Spanish) featuring history of Puerto Rican music, including its instruments, genres, artists with bios, essays, lyrics(Spanish only), audio clips.
- National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences/Recording Academy
- New World Records
Alphabetical by composer.
- Pearl Records
- Phonogrammarchiv: Oesterreichs wissenschaftliches Schallarchiv, oesterreichische Akademie der Wissenchaften
- Popular Culture Library, Bowling Green State University
Prokofiev as pianist. Includes rollography(piano rolls), discography of 78rpm HMV recordings.
- ProRec: Pro and Home Recording Resources on the Internet
- Qualiton Imports
- Raga Records
Raices Latin Music Museum Collection
Comprehensive multi-media collection describing the history and evolution of Latin Music in New York City. Includes audio/visual recordings, original manuscripts, photos, periodicals, oral histories, artifacts, instruments.
- Recording: the Magazine for the Recording Musician
- Rodgers & Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound: Digital Finding Aids for Archival Collections
- Russian History Audio Archive, Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, USA
- Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture: Moving Image and Recorded Sound Division, The New York Public Library
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
Smithsonian Institution continues Moses Asch's legacy of Folkways Records by keeping every Folkways title in print and available for purchase. Site contains program notes, track lists, some lyrics, some audio clips.
- Sony Classical
- Sound Archives/Nga Taonga Korero, New Zealands's Foremost Radio Archive
- Sound on Sound
- Stanford Archive of Recorded Sound, Stanford University
Includes articles on care and handling, preservation, audio standards, audio projects, organizations concerned with audio preservation, online discussion lists, other audio preservation sites.
- Stereophile Guide to Home Theater
- Swiss National Sound Archives
- TapeOp: the Creative Music Recording Magazine
- The Mix, the United Kingdom
- The Tapeless Studio: the Magazine of Computer Audio
- The Virtual Gramophone: Canadian Historical Sound Recordings
U.S. Copyright Office
Information about how to register sound recordings of music, drama or lectures. Includes link to copyright registration form for sound recordings.
University of Washington
Information on audio preservation & restoration, including sticky shed syndrome, magnetic tape storage, 78rpm records & cylinders, compact disc rot, bronzing & corrosion, digital audio & media, film & video tape preservation, media disaster plans, audio restoration/preservation products & service links, organizations.
A discography of complete opera recordings on LP and CD.
- Vincent Voice Library, Michigan State University
- Warner Classics International
Features some audio clips, pictures, discography, filmography,listing of opera performances.
- William Ransom Hogan Archive of New Orleans Jazz, Tulane University