The History Archives and Library of the Staten Island Museum is closed at the current time. It will be reopened during late Spring 2009 after it has been relocated to the Snug Harbor Cultural Center.Founded in 1881, the 175+ Collections of the Staten Island Institute of Arts & Sciences are a hidden resource for all. Collections include:
Newspapers on microfilm - Richmond Argus, 1902-04 Richmond County Free Press, 1834-35 Richmond County Gazette, 1860-91 Richmond County Mirror, 1837-39 Richmond County Sentinel, 1876-79, 1886-1889 Richmond County Standard, 1882-95, 1901 Richmond Republican, 1827-34 Staten Island Advance, 1947-1994 Staten Island Gazette, 1903-04 Staten Island Independent, 1894-96, 1898-1900 The Sepoy, 1859-60 The Staaten Islander, 1856-57 The Staten Islander, 1886-1927, 1934 Times-Transcript, 1927-41. News clippings arranged by name & subject from 1910-2003
Architectural Survey Collection - Conducted from 1975-1980, photographs and maps that document Staten Island architecture, building by building, are included in this vast collection
Biographies Collection - includes letters, clippings, photographs and biographical data on Staten Islanders. Compiled by William T. Davis and Charles W. Leng, information was included for their informative five volume series - Staten Island and its People (1929-30)
Staten Island Families Collection - includes Wills of Staten Island 1787-1863, Letters of Administration and Guardianship Papers of Richmond County (Staten Island) and Indexes to Wills and Letters of Administration from the County Clerk's Office. Court papers, indentures, mortgage papers, receipts, family letters, birth, death & marriage records, Family Bibles and family genealogies are included.
Military Records Collections - houses muster rolls of the Revolutionary War, 1776-1779 muster rolls of the Staten Island Militia, 1800-1814 and 1848 and Civil War enlistment records
Photograph Collections - features photographs of individuals, families, mansions & homes, Staten Island scenes and landscapes, businesses, and churches & cemeteries, from the mid-1800s to the present
Richmond County Records Collection - houses copies of the Supervisors Book (until 1898, the county was governed by a Board of Supervisors), 1766-1823 Justice of the Peace Dockets, 1706-1896 Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors, 1877-1897 and County Coroner papers, 1787 and 1879. Also includes an inventory of County and Borough Archives, 1940, 1942
Vosburgh Cemetery Records - inscriptions of Many Staten Island gravestones from the late 1600s to the early 1900s
Maps & Atlas Collection - insurance atlases for Staten Island from 1853, 1874, 1898 and 1917-1935. printed, bound and photocopied maps from other years are also available
City Directories - business & residential directories: Richmond County Directory, 1862 Handbook of the Staten Island Railroad, 1870 Webb's Consolidated Directory of Staten Island, 1882-83, 1884 Standard Directory of Richmond County, 1893/94 and 1897/98 Industries of Staten Island Before Consolidation, 1898 Trow's Directory, 1899, 1900 Richmond Borough Directory, 1912 Staten Island Advance Business & Telephone Directory, 1921-22, 1922-23 Polk's Directory of Staten Island, 1933-34, plus more...
Census - US Census for Richmond County, 1