- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Using Sony Reader with NYPL eBooks
The eNYPL digital library has thousands of eBooks which are compatible with Sony Reader. Learn to check out and download eBooks for free with your NYPL library card and get reading on the go!
Downloading the Reader Library software
1. Go to the Sony Reader Store and click on the appropriate download link for the Reader Library. Choose either the PC or Mac version, depending on what computer you plan to use to borrow eBooks.
2. Follow the instructions provided and download the Reader Library. After the download is complete, open the Reader Library application.
Borrowing eBooks from eNYPL to use with your Sony Reader
1. Go to eNYPL Home.
2. Hover the mouse over the "Browse eBooks" section in the left-hand menu bar. This allows you to select a category that interests you – from art to cooking to history to travel and so on. Hovering over "Browse Children’s" or "Browse Young Adult" allows you to limit results to Children’s or Young Adult eBooks.
3. Sony Reader supports Adobe ePUB and PDF eBooks. Under "Browse eNYPL Collection," you can limit your results to only ePUB ebooks, which are optimized for use on the Sony Reader.
4. At the top of your results, you can re-sort by title [default], creator, release date, most popular, or date added to site.
5. Once you find a title you wish to download, click "Add to eList" on the right side of the entry. You have 30 minutes to complete your checkout before the eBook is returned to the library’s collection.
NOTE: If "Add to eList" is not an option, this means all of the electronic copies of the book are in use. Click "Request Item" on the right side of the entry. If you are not already logged in, the system will prompt you for your library card number and PIN. Enter your email address and the system will notify you when the title is available for check out.
6. Click "Proceed to Checkout." If you are not already logged in, enter your library card number and PIN.
7. You can adjust the lending period to 7, 14, or 21 days. You may check out up to 12 eBooks at one time. After choosing your lending period, click "Confirm Checkout," and then click "Download" on the next page.
NOTE: You can complete the checkout of an eBook to your account on NYPL computers, but must complete the download on your own machine.
8. A dialog box will appear, prompting you to open a file called URLLink.acsm. This is the license for the eBook, which is stored on Adobe’s content server. Open the file with the Reader Library application. The file will download immediately and launch your Reader Library.
9. On the left panel of Reader Library, Status will be highlighted and the little arrows will spin. Once the download is complete, the eBook will appear in your Library under Books, and also as part of the Purchased category. Double-click on the title to open the book.
10. Once the eBook is downloaded to the Reader Library, connect your Sony Reader to your computer. A new category will appear in the left menu, called Reader. Expand this section, highlight Sync and click the Sync Now button to copy the eBook from your computer to the device. At the end of the lending period, the eBook will expire and disappear from your Reader Library.