Overdue fines got you down? Read Down Your Fines
at The New York Public Library this summer!
From July 25 to September 9, 2011, participants in NYPL’s Read Down Your Fines program can erase all their library fines just by logging their books and reading time on SummerReading.org. Follow these easy steps:
1. Sign Up at SummerReading.org. You MUST enter your library card number and PIN when registering. Ask a library staff member if you need help with this.
2. Visit your local library. Show a staff member your SummerReading.org profile page and say, “I want to read down my fines.” You'll get a Reading Goal badge code. Your badge will indicate how many hours you need to read to erase your fines. Enter the badge code on your profile page (required).
3. Read! Erase $1 in fines for roughly every 15 minutes you read in or out of the library this summer. You will be able to borrow books and other print materials right away. You won’t owe any fines on your items when you return them during Read Down Your Fines - no matter how long you’ve had them. Bring all of your overdue items back to the library today!
4. Log your book titles and the hours and minutes you spend reading this summer on SummerReading.org.
5. Erase your fines. Once you’ve reached your Reading Goal, show your SummerReading.org log to NYPL staff. The staff member will confirm that you have met your goal, and all your outstanding library fines will be erased!
Start the school year with a clean slate. Read Down Your Fines with NYPL this summer!
Some Restrictions Apply. Ask a library staff member for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions about Read Down Your Fines.