OCTOBER 8, 2013 —The New York Public Library’s annual Library Lions Gala, recognizing individuals for their outstanding achievements in the fields of art, culture, scholarship, and letters, will be held at the Library’s landmark StephenA.SchwarzmanBuilding on Monday, November 4th.
This year’s class of “Library Lions” includes:
- Michael R. Bloomberg, Mayor of the City of New York
- Katherine Boo, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author, and winner of the Library’s 2013 Helen Bernstein Book Award for Excellence in Journalism
- Junot Diaz, MacArthur Genius and Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist and short story writer
- Marilynne Robinson, Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist and essayist
- Stephen Sondheim, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony award-winning composer and lyricist
Cocktails will begin at 7 p.m. in the Edna Barnes Salomon Room, followed by dinner and a formal program in the Rose Main Reading Room. The event is black tie.
Our 2013 Co-Chairs include:
- Mr. and Mrs. Oscar de la Renta
- Ms. Antoinette Delruelle and Mr. Joshua L. Steiner
- Mr. and Mrs. Scott D. Malkin
- Mr. and Mrs. Donald Marron
- Mr. and Mrs. John Paulson
- Mr. and Mrs. Stephen A. Schwarzman
- Mr. James S. Tisch and The Honorable Merryl H. Tisch
- Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Wachenheim III
For over 30 years, the Library has honored those who have made significant contributions to New York City and to the creative community at large during its annual gala, with previous honorees including South African President Nelson Mandela, author Elie Weisel, media mogul Oprah Winfrey, and director Martin Scorcese.
The 2012 gala was canceled due to Super Storm Sandy, which caused power outages at the StephenA.SchwarzmanBuilding. The Library donated the food from the gala to residents of Staten Island, a borough that was decimated as a result of the crippling storm.
The Library Lions gala will be followed by the Young Lions Benefit Party, an evening of cocktails and dancing, with music by DJ Shiftee. The party is hosted by the Young Lions, a membership group of Library lovers in their 20s and 30s who support the work of the Library. This year’s Moroccan-inspired party theme is “Rock the Casbah.”
The party is co-chaired by Emma Bloomberg, Nick Brown, Sloane Crosley, Andrea Olshan, Indre Rockefeller, Amber Tamblyn, Jessica Tisch, and Allison Williams.
Proceeds from the Library Lions Gala and Young Lions Benefit Party go towards funding the Library’s essential free public services – including programs, classes, materials, computers and so on – at 91 locations across the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island. For more information, please visit www.nypl.org/librarylions or call 212.930.0671.
For press inquiries, please contact:
Adenike Olanrewaju/ firstname.lastname@example.org