- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Patience and Fortitude Welcome Kids and Their Families To A Fun, NYC-Themed Fundraiser at the New York Public Library On January 23
Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Spade and Amanda Peet Co-chair The “Family Benefit” At The Landmark Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The New York Public Library is transforming its landmark building into a literary wonderland for children and their families on January 23, when it holds its inaugural Cubs Family Benefit fundraiser complete with food, live music and New York City-themed arts and crafts.
The event – dubbed “Patience and Fortitude’s New York Adventure” – is an all day fun-fest at the Library’s Stephen A. Schwarzman Building at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue. The breathtaking Astor Hall will become a beautiful, exciting dream space for kids inspired by four children’s books about the city: Subway by Christopher Niemann, A Walk In New York by Salvatore Rubbino, This is New York by M. Sasek and The House On East 88th Street by Bernard Waber.
Kids can enjoy the elegance and history of the building – which is celebrating its Centennial year – while building skyscrapers out of cereal boxes, munching on mini pizzas or dancing to popular singing group The Deedle Deedle Dees.
New Yorkers Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Spade and Amanda Peet are all co-chairs, along with Tania Higgins, Punch Hutton, Susie Lopez, Hannah McFarland, Tiffany Moller, May Kathryn Navab and Yesim Phillip. Asprey and New York Family Magazine are sponsoring the event.
Activities at the fundraiser will include:
- Story time!
- A concert by popular Brooklyn-based band The Deedle Deedle Dees, which incorporates literary references into their songs.
- A chance to construct a building with cereal boxes and other materials, which will then be placed together to create a skyline.
- A “build your own New York car” table, where kids can create taxis, buses or other New York City vehicles, attach them to a popsicle sticks, then add them to a “traffic jam.”
- A photo booth where kids can take photos inside cutouts of New York City scenes.
- Bite-sized, New York City related food, like mini pizzas and hot dogs from real city hot dog carts.
- A “build your own birthday crown” table, and later, a group rendition of “Happy Birthday” for the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building.
All proceeds from the event will benefit children’s services and programs at the Library’s 87 neighborhood libraries, which serve millions of children every year. Various packages are available; some include tickets to the Family Benefit as well as other Library events. Individual tickets are also available, starting at $75 for children, $150 for adults.
For more information, go to http://www.nypl.org/events/programs/2011/01/23/family-benefit-patience-and-fortitudes-new-york-adventure?nref=62495.
Contact: Angela Montefinise | 212.592.7506