New York StartUP! 2015 Business Plan Competition
The judges will evaluate each Business Plan based on the following:
1) Content of the plan, including the thoroughness and quality of the analysis
2) Effective use of business information and research
3) Clear communication.
4) Effective use and impact of the prize money
5) Probability of successful launch
6) Community Impact and job creation potential
7) Quality and effectiveness of final presentation (in the event the applicant becomes a finalist and is invited to present)
Your business plan should include all sections outlined in the Elements of a Business plan and template. See "Elements of a Business Plan."
Your Business Plan must be uploaded to the NY StartUP! 2015 Competition site no later than midnight on June 9, 2015.
- Your Business Plan, including the financials, must be uploaded as ONE (1) file in PDF format.
- It should be no longer than 20 (one-sided) pages, excluding financial statements.
- Use Arial font no less than 10pt with 1-inch margins.
- Points will be deducted from your score if your plan exceeds 20 pages and this will affect your final score.
- NYPL will not reimburse entrants for any expenses related to the compilation or assembly of your Business Plan.
- Working models or prototypes will not be accepted.
- The Business Plans will be destroyed shortly after the competition has ended.
The Business Plan must contain the following:
1. A one page overview to accompany the business plan following this format .
2. Cover Page with the name of the applicant, street address, telephone number, and email address of the individual entrant(s) and team leader.
3. Team entries must include the names of all team members, and the street address, telephone number, and email address of one designated entrant.
4. A Table of Contents
5. One-page Executive Summary
6. Page Numbers throughout the business plan.
7. Elements of a Business Plan template provided on this website.
8. Financial Projections including 3-year summary balance sheet, income statement, and statements of cash flow. Additionally, the statements should include a monthly income statements for year 1 and 2 and a quarterly income statement for year 3. The financials should also include a description of sources & uses of funds, break-even analysis and notes to financials inclusive of financial assumptions.
SIBL will publicize the names and associations of all judges who participate in the New York StartUP! 2015 Business Plan Competition. Judges will be asked to remove themselves from judging a plan if they have a conflict of interest, such as a pre-existing family or business relationship with an entrant.
- In addition to the orientation sessions, entrants are required to attend THREE (3) of FOUR (4) training workshops. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of your application.
- Business Plans must be uploaded to the NY StartUP! 2015 Competition site no later than midnight on June 9, 2015.
- The panel of judges will review submitted business plans.
- Finalists will be notified and required to present their plans to the panel of judges and respond to their questions in August of 2015. The exact date, time and location of these meetings will be provided to the finalists.
- The winners will be announced in September 2015 at the NY StartUP! 2015 Awards Ceremony.