- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Call Ahead at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
You can have items from the Schwarzman Building's closed stacks or off-site storage waiting for you when you arrive at the Library, just e-mail your requests in advance.
- 3 items/day
- 24-hour advance notice
- Exact call numbers required
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building Access and Reader Services
Please give us the following information:
To request journals:
- Exact call number
- Volume number and/or date
To request books:
- Exact call number
- Author's name (first and last)
Also provide your e-mail address and telephone number(s) so that we may contact you
When you arrive at the library
Proceed to the Rose Main Reading Room and request Reserved material by your last name. Items will be gathered together in the morning before the library opens on the day your visit is planned. Any material not called for or picked up will return to the shelves that evening to make it available for other readers. After the first day, you may request that material be held on reserve for up to seven days.
- Unbound periodicals and items from our open shelf reference collections.
- Rare Books and other special collections should be contacted directly
- Manuscripts and Archives Division researchers should consult its instructions on requesting material in advance: www.nypl.org/mss
- Some oversized materials and restricted collections may not be available for this service.
- At least 24-hour advance notice is required for on-site materials. Earlier notice is appreciated.
- An item will usually be delivered the next business day (Tuesday - Friday) if the request is placed before 2:30 p.m. Although most off-site materials will be available within one business day, some may require up to four business days.
PLEASE NOTE: Some materials may not be available. We will make every effort to notify you ahead of time. Please call the delivery desk to verify that your materials are ready (212) 642-0108.
A Library Card is required to view materials.