- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Industry Guides: Apparel, Fashion and Textiles
- How do I find industry information for apparel/fashion/textiles?
- How do I find out about technologies related to apparel/fashion/textiles?
[Dictionaries and Encyclopedias] [Handbooks]
- What are standards and regulations and how do I find out the ones related
- How do I find names of companies, professionals, manufacturers, buyers,
suppliers, competitors and other related contacts in the apparel/fashion/textiles
[Associations] [Tradeshows] [Directories]
- How can I keep current with the latest news and information in the apparel/fashion/textiles
[Electronic Databases] [Print Indexes/Abstracts] [Websites]
How do I find industry information for apparel/fashion/textiles?
See also Helpsheet #7 at the McGraw Desk for additional industry resources.
Location of Source
General overview: Textiles, Apparel, Leather
Encyclopedia of Global Industries
Company/Industry Section; also EIC database: Business & Company Resource Center
History, projections, leading companies, and analyses of textile mills and products, apparel manufacturing, leather, and footwear
Manufacturing & Distribution USA
Financial and operating data/ratios for companies in apparel and textile industries
Mergent’s Industry Review
Industry survey and monthly investment review: Apparel & Footwear
Standard & Poor’s Industry Survey
Company/Industry Section; also EIC database
1- page industry analysis/investment advice on “Apparel” and “Textiles”
Value Line Investment Survey
Financial Services; consult Index at McGraw Desk; also EIC Database
Reviews, forecasts, and key indicators for textile/knitting mill products, fabrics, carpets, rugs, and apparel
WEFA Industrial Monitor
How do I find out about technologies related to apparel/fashion/textiles?
The following is a selection of resources which can be found in the open-shelf reference collection on the lower level of Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL). Call numbers are in brackets after the title. Items with call numbers preceded with “*R-SIBL” can be found on the open shelves; numbers without “*R-SIBL” must be requested from the Altman Delivery Desk. Search in the library’s CATNYP catalog or consult with a librarian for more resources.
- Dictionary of Fiber and Textile Technology (*R-SIBL TS1309.D55)
- Encyclopedia of Textiles (*R-SIBL TS1309.J47 1992)
- Encyclopedia of Textiles, Fibers, and Nonwoven Fabrics (*R-SIBL TS1309.E3)
- Fairchild Dictionary of Fashion (*R-SIBL TT503.C34)
- Fairchild Encyclopedia of Accessories (*R-SIBL TT574)
- Fairchild's Dictionary of Textiles (*R-SIBL TS1309.F34 1996)
- Fashion Designers (*R-SIBL TT505.A1.G65 – McGraw Desk)
- Garment and Textile Dictionary (*R-SIBL TT494.C66)
- In An Influential Fashion: An Encyclopedia of Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Fashion Designers and Retailers Who Transformed Dress (*R-SIBL TT505.A1.I5)
- Thames and Hudson Dictionary of Fashion and Fashion Designers (*R-SIBL TT507.O53)
- American Wool Handbook (*R-SIBL TS1631.V62)
- Apparel Design and Production Hand Book: A Technical Reference (JSE 01-203)
- Apparel Product Development (*R-SIBL TT497.J64)
- Beyond design : the synergy of apparel product development. (*R-SIBL TT497 .K42)
- Colour Index. 3rd ed. 1971. (*R-SIBL TP910.S622)
- Handbook of Technical Textiles (JSF 01-722)
- The Spec Manual (*R-SIBL TT520.B85; includes CD-ROM: (*WSC-2002 ))
- Wellington Sears Handbook of Industrial Textiles (*R-SIBL TS1770.I53.A33)
What are standards and regulations and how do I find out the ones related apparel/fashion/textiles?
The American Textile Manufacturers Institute (ATMI) defines standards as documented agreements containing technical specifications or other precise criteria to be used consistently as rules, guidelines, or definitions of characteristics, to ensure that materials, products, processes and services are fit for their purposes. There are both voluntary and mandatory standards that can also become government regulations.
See SIBL’s Science & Technology web page on Standards for additional information.
See also the following for industry specific standards information:
- ASTM Standards (American Society for Testing Materials) Section 7: Textiles. See (*R-SIBL TA401.A653) See also: http://www.astm.org/cgi-
bin/SoftCart.exe/DATABASE.CART/MARKETINGCODES/TX1.htm?U+mystore+osej9290 for the dates of most current revisions and reapprovals.
- Code of Federal Regulations: See 16 CFR 1610, 1615-16, 1630-32 for flammability regulations; 16 CFR 300, 303, 423, 500 for care labeling regulations.
- Fit 2000: The Fit Symposium (http://car.clemson.edu/fit2000/references.htm)
A bibliography of resources on voluntary standards for body measurements and sizing, garment fit, pattern development, sizing research and grading.
- Unit Method of Clothing Construction/Iowa State University Press. 1990. (JSF 93-221)
How do I find names of companies, professionals, manufacturers, buyers, suppliers, competitors and other related contacts in the apparel/fashion/textiles industries?
1. Trade associations and trade shows
2. Print and Electronic directories to locate manufacturers, suppliers, competitors, wholesalers
3. Industry Directories on SIBL’s home page: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/trade/index.cfm.
Other sources include:
Davison’s Textile Blue Book (Latest ed. At McGraw Desk)
- Professional and Trade Associations
Listed below is a selected list of associations, including their Web sites, that provides industry statistics, news, surveys and reports:
- American Apparel & Footwear Association (http://www.americanapparel.org) The site has industry news, consumer information and statistics.
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (http://www.aatcc.org)
- American Textile Manufacturers Institute (http://www.atmi.org)
- Associations Directory for the Apparel and Fashion Industry (http://www.apparelsearch.com/associations.htm)
Portal website for links to individual associations in the apparel, fashion and textile industries, e.g. ATMI, AATCC.
- The Fashion Center Business Improvement District, New York City (http://www.fashioncenter.com)
- The Institute of Textile Technology in Charlottesville, Virginia (http://www.itt.edu)
- National Textile Center University Research Consortium (http://www.ntcresearch.org)
- The Textile Institute (http://texi.org/)
General reference sources for additional associations:
- Encyclopedia of Associations (*R-SIBL AS22.E5 Latest ed. – Open Reference Shelves and McGraw Desk) This directory is also available in the electronic database Gale's Ready Reference Shelf.
- National Trade and Professional Associations of the United States (*R-SIBL HD2425.D53 – Latest ed. McGraw Desk)
- Expocentral.com (http://www.expocentral.com)
Information on the textile industry, current trade shows, fairs, exhibitions conventions and conference in the U.S. and other countries.
- Trade Shows Worldwide (*R-SIBL T394.T723)
- Tradeshow Week Data Book (*R-SIBL T394.T725 )
- TSNN.com - The Ultimate Tradeshow Resource (http://www.tsnn.com/)
- Use Print and Electronic directories to locate manufacturers, suppliers, competitors, wholesalers
Consult SIBL’s home page - Research Guides - Industry Specific Directories for additional resources.
- Apparel Contractors, Manufacturers, Importers & Exporters (*R-SIBL HD9940.A2.A66 Latest ed.)
- Apparel Industry Sourcebook (*R-SIBL TT495.A75 – Latest ed. McGraw Desk)
- Davison’s Textile Blue Book (*R-SIBL TS1312.D29 – Latest ed. McGraw Desk)
- Directory of Apparel Specialty Stores (*R-SIBL HD9940.U3.D49)
- Garment Manufacturers Index (*R-SIBL TT495.G37)
- Kompass Professionnel. (France) (*R-SIBL HD9862.3. K656)
- Mass Merchandisers & Off-price Apparel Buyers (*R-SIBL HD9940. U4 .N47)
- Men's and Boy's Wear Buyers (*R-SIBL HD9940.U3.M39 Latest ed.) also: Women's and Children's Wear Buyers (*R-SIBL HD9940.U3.N33 Latest ed.)
- National Register of Apparel Manufacturers (Men/Boys: *R-SIBL HD9940 .U3 .N315)
(Women’s/Children’s: *R-SIBL HD9940 .U3 .N33)
- Textile World Blue Book (*R-SIBL TS1312.A34 – Latest ed. McGraw Desk)
- Registered Numbers & Wool Products Label Encyclopedia (*R-SIBL HD9940.U3 .R5 – Latest ed. McGraw Desk) Also available at the website: (www.ftc.gov/bcp/rn/) .
These resources are available in the Rohatyn Electronic Information Center (EIC) at SIBL only. The EIC is located on the lower level of the library. From the Electronic Information Center (EIC) menu, Select ‘Electronic Databases’, then ‘Business Resources’, then ‘Company Directories’.
- Reference USA
Directory. Provides addresses, sales information, executives, for over 12 million U.S. companies. Searchable by state, city, zip code, and SIC code and yellow page headings/industries such as textile manufacturers. Updated: Monthly. Zip code listing for all 5 boroughs Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island.
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers & Thomas Register of European Manufacturers (TREM)
Directories of manufacturing companies. Thomas Register also has a free web site http://www.thomasregister.com and http://www.tipcoeurope.com/ for searching companies; registration is required. Print version of Thomas Register (U.S.) is on lower level Company/Industry Section, call number *R-SIBL T12.T6. This database is not on all networked computers.
How can I keep current with the latest news and information in the apparel/fashion/textiles industries?
- Locate articles trade journals and newspapers in Indexes and Abstracts by formulating a search strategy.
- Search in electronic databases and print indexes for abstracts, full text articles, research reports.
- See also Best of the Web or Internet Sites by Subject (Technology -> Apparel) for additional related web sites.
An index is a print or electronic resource that provides citations to articles published in periodicals, journals or newspapers. Some are general while others are specific in their subject coverage.
An abstract has all the information provided by an index with the addition of a summary of the article.
Note: For additional information on Indexes/Abstracts: see: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/science/scindexes.htm
- Use AND, OR, NOT to combine your keywords: i.e.
“dyes and finish” will yield articles with both terms
“apparel or clothing” will yield articles with apparel or clothing or both
“textiles not wool” will yield articles with textiles without wool
- Use truncation or wildcards (usually represented by * or ?) to find terms with similar roots:
E.g. cloth* with yield articles with cloth, clothes, clothing, etc.
- To search a phrase, use quotes: e.g. “screen printing”; “woven fabrics”
- To be more specific in a search, limit the search by:
Language (e.g. English)
Date (e.g. last 12 months)
Type (e.g. industry surveys; company overviews)
Format (e.g. full text)
Level (secondary; research)
These resources are available in the Rohatyn Electronic Information Center (EIC) at SIBL or are available from home/school/office with an NYPL borrowers card (*) from the library website, (http://www.nypl.org/databases/index.cfm?act=2&j=home). See also the Research Libraries listing of online databases: http://www.nypl.org/databases/ for a complete listing of on-site databases.
Note: For additional information on electronic databases, see: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/science/scieic.htm
- Textile Technology Digest (EIC)
Abstracts of articles. Provides international coverage of the literature of textiles and related subjects. Coverage includes the various aspects of textile production and processing, and the automation and management systems of these operations. Includes many of the major resources of the apparel, home furnishings, flooring, and polymer industries. Also available in print 1944-1983 (JSM 94-760); 1984 – present (JSM 03-54).
- Women's Wear Daily (WWD) Online (EIC)
Articles. Full text Database. The fashion industry's daily news source, covering business issues, fashion trends, retailing developments, international ready-to-wear, couture presentations, and market overviews. WWD is written for retailers and manufacturers of women's apparel, accessories, fibers, and textiles. 1994 - Present. Updated: Daily.
See also WWD Illustrated for illustrations from 1960s-1990s (*R-SIBL HD9940.U52.B79-McGraw Desk)
- Business & Company Resource Center (EIC) and (*)
Includes full text industry overviews from the most current edition of Encyclopedia of Global Industries and articles from trade journals such as Women’s Wear Daily (WWD).
- PROMT (Predicast Overview of Markets and Technology) (EIC)
Articles. Full Text and Abstract Database. Use this database to research companies, the products and technologies they produce, and the markets in which they compete. Includes summaries and full text from nearly 1,000 business and trade journals, industry newsletters, newspapers, market research studies, news releases, and investment and brokerage firm reports. 1994 - Present. Updated: Daily.
The following electronic databases also contains relevant articles/reports regarding apparel, fashion and textiles:
- Applied Science and Technology Abstracts
- Biography Index (EIC) and Biography Resource Center (EIC) and (*)
Databases of biographical information on notable people including fashion designers.
- EBSCOHost (EIC) and (*) (Includes databases such as Academic Search Premier, Business Source Premier, Masterfile Premier, Newspaper Source, and Professional Development Collection.)
- General BusinessFile ASAP (EIC)
- Market Research.com Academic and Market Research Monitor (EIC)
- Applied Science and Technology Index. 1958 - Present. (*R-SIBL Z7913.I7)
- Clothing and Textile Arts Index. 1993 (JSM 93-192)
- Industrial Arts Index. 1913-1957 (*R-SIBL Z7913.I7)
- Textile Technology Digest. 1944-1983 (JSM 94-760); 1984 – present (JSM 03-54)
- World Textile Abstracts. 1969-1984 (JSM 94-751); 1985 – present (*R-SIBL TS1300.W94)
- American Apparel & Footwear Association
The American Apparel & Footwear Association was formed in August 2000 through the merger of three trade associations: the American Apparel and Manufacturers Association, Footwear Industries of America and The Fashion Association. The site has industry news, consumer information and statistics.
- Apparel Search Company
ApparelSearch.com is a business to business online database to the apparel/textile industry, including manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, freight companies, customs, warehousing, quality standards, education/training, trade shows, publications, model agencies, news, and employment.
- Associations Directory for the Apparel and Fashion Industry
A portal of industry links classified by associations, organizations, search engines, factories, production services, employment and news.
- Basic Clothing Construction -- Sew Easy: Pattern And Fabric Selection
Contains body measurement charts, clothing sizes, and fabric considerations.
Provides information on the textile industry, current trade shows, fairs, exhibitions conventions and conference in the U.S. and other countries.
An online educational resource for fabric care, flammability standards, textile dictionary, alerts on product recalls, fabric history, and product guide.
- Fashion Center New York City
A site with real estate information on NYC fashion district including events, fashon designers, economic profile, and news.
- Fashion Windows
This site includes fashion designer biographies, runway shows, a calendar of invents, fashion trends and reviews, and more.
- Fit 2000: The Fit Symposium
A bibliography of resources on voluntary standards for body measurements and sizing, garment fit, pattern development, sizing research and grading.
- Infomat: the largest fashion industry search engine
This site includes links to mostly free international and U.S. apparel/textile/accessories industry reports, consumer reports, rankings based on sales/growth/brand, dictionaries, news, and statistical indicators. Notable is an overview, dated 2000, of New York City's fashion industry:http://www.gidc.org/industry.html
- International Fashion Web
A searchable online database of exporters, importers, ocean carriers, and other related services worldwide.
- National Textile Center
A consortium of eight universities with the mission of enhancing the knowledgebase of U.S. fibers, the site has research reports from 1992 to the present.
- Office of Textiles and Apparel
Trade data, agreements, reports, acts, quotas, and much more.
This site provides industry and product information as well as suppliers.
- WTO | Textiles on the WTO website
Contains WTO agreement on textiles and clothing, technical information on textiles, and related WTO information.