- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Industry Guides: Cosmetics
- How do I find industry information for cosmetics?
- How do I find out about technologies related to cosmetics?
[Dictionaries and Encyclopedias] [Handbooks]
- What are regulations & standards that I have to follow for the cosmetics industry?
- How do I find manufacturers, suppliers, buyers, competitors and other related professionals in the cosmetics industry?
[Associations] [Tradeshows] [Directories]
- How can I keep current with the latest information in the cosmetics industry?
[Electronic Databases] [Print Indexes/Abstracts] [Websites]
How do I find industry information for cosmetics?
See also Helpsheet #7 at the McGraw Desk for additional industry resources.
Location of Source
General overview: Toiletries & Cosmetics
Encyclopedia of Global Industries
Company/Industry Section; also in EIC database: Business & Company Resource Center
History, projections, leading companies, and analyses of Drugs & druggists wholesalers; cosmetics stores (NAICs 422210, 446120)
Manufacturing & Distribution USA (v.3)
Market research reports for U.S. and international markets in cosmetics & personal care
Market Research Monitor
Financial and operating data/ratios for companies in Cosmetics and Toiletries
Mergent’s Industry Review
Industry profile, current environment, market trends, and outlook
Industry survey and monthly investment review: Household Nondurables
Standard & Poor’s Industry Survey
Company/Industry Section; also EIC database
1- page industry analysis/investment advice on Toiletries/Cosmetics
Value Line Investment Survey
Financial Services; consult Index at McGraw Desk; also EIC Database
Reviews, forecasts, and key indicators for Perfumes, cosmetics, toilet preparations
WEFA Industrial Monitor
How do I find out about technologies related to cosmetics?
The following is a selection of resources that can be found in the open-shelf reference collection on the lower level of Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL). Call numbers are in brackets after the title. Items with call numbers preceded with “*R-” can be found on the open shelves; numbers without “*R-” must be requested from the Altman Delivery Desk.
Search in the library’s CATNYP catalog or consult with a librarian for more resources.
- Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients [*R-TP983.A55 .W57]
- Encyclopedia of common natural ingredients used in food, drugs, and cosmetics [*R-QD415.A25 .L48]
- International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook [*R-TP983 .I58]
- Perfumes, cosmetics, and soaps [*R-TP983 .P723]
- Raw Materials of Perfumery [*R-TP983 .P723]
- Chemistry of Fragrances [JSD 99-100]
- Cosmetic Bench Reference [*R-TP983.A2221]
- H & R Buch Parfum [*R-TP983 .Z5 H2]
- International Cosmetic Ingredient Handbook [*R-TP983 .C953]
- New Perfume Handbook [*R-TP983 .G75 McGraw Desk]
What are regulations & standards that I have to follow for the cosmetics industry?
The American Textile Manufacturers Institute (ATMI) defines standards as documented agreements containing technical specifications or other precise criteria to be used consistently as rules, guidelines, or definitions of characteristics, to ensure that materials, products, processes and services are fit for their purposes. There are both voluntary and mandatory standards that can also become government regulations.
See SIBL's Science & Technology web page on Standards for additional information.
See also the following for industry specific standards information:
- A.S.T.M. (American Society for Testing Materials) Standards [*R-TA401.A653]
- Colour Index (Society of Dyers and Colourists) [*R-TP910 .S622]
- Cosmetic Regulation in a Competitive Environment [*R-KF3896 .C68]
- A formulary of cosmetic preparations (1991) [JSN 95-92 Vol. 1-2]
- Index and directory of industry standards [*R-T59.2 .U615]
- International Fragrance Association (IFRA) http://www.ifraorg.org/GuideLines.asp
How do I find manufacturers, suppliers, buyers, competitors and other related professionals in the cosmetics industry?
- Trade associations and trade shows
- Electronic and Print directories to locate manufacturers, suppliers, competitors, wholesalers
- Industry Directories on SIBL’s home page: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/trade/index.cfm
Professional and Trade Associations
Listed below is a selected list of associations, including their Web sites and major publications where appropriate:
- American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS) www.aocs.org
- Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) www.cir-safety.org
- Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association: http://www.ctfa.org/
- European Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association (Colipa) http://www.colipa.com/
- Fragrance Foundation www.fragrance.org
- Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers and Distributors: www.icmad.org
- International Fragrance Association (IFRA) http://www.ifraorg.org
- New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists www.nyscc.org
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists: http://www.scs.org.uk/
General reference sources for additional associations:
- Encyclopedia of Associations (*R-AS22.E5) also available via the following database: Gale's Ready Reference Shelf (available in the Electronic Information Center (EIC), or from home with a library card at the following Web site: http://www.nypl.org/databases/index.cfm?act=2&j=home )
- National Trade and Professional Associations of the United States (*R-HD2425.D53 Latest ed. at McGraw Desk)
- Expocentral.com (http://www.expocentral.com) Trade shows, fairs, exhibitions & conferences info.
- Trade Shows Worldwide (*R-SIBL T394.T723)
- Tradeshow Week Data Book (*R-SIBL T394.T725 )
- TSNN.com - The Ultimate Tradeshow Resource (http://www.tsnn.com/)
Use Electronic and Print directories to locate manufacturers, suppliers, competitors, wholesalers:
These resources are available in the Rohatyn Electronic Information Center (EIC) at SIBL only. The EIC is located on the lower level of the library. From the Electronic Information Center (EIC) menu, Select ‘Electronic Databases’, then ‘Business Resources’, then ‘Company Directories’.
- Reference USA
Directory. Provides addresses, sales information, executives, for over 12 million U.S. companies. Searchable by state, city, zip code, and SIC code and yellow page headings/industries such as textile manufacturers. Updated: Monthly. Zip code listing for all 5 boroughs Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island.
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers & Thomas Register of European Manufacturers (TREM)
Directories of manufacturing companies. Thomas Register also has a free web site http://www.thomasregister.com and http://www.tipcoeurope.com/ for searching companies; registration is required. Print version of Thomas Register (U.S.) is on lower level Company/Industry Section, call number *R-SIBL T12.T6. This database is not on all networked computers.
Consult SIBL’s home page - Research Guides - Industry Specific Directories for additional resources.
- Cosmetics International Worldwide Directory and Industry Guide [*R-HD9970.5.C67]
- Directory of Drug Store & HBC Chains [*R-HD9666.3.C5]
- Green Book / American Salon. Beauty Shop Supplies Industry [*R-HD9999.B251A44]
- International Directory of Importers. Worldwide Beauty Supplies, Cosmetics & Toiletries Importing Firms [*R-HD9970.5.C67 I5]
- Who's who guide to personal-care [*R-HD9970.5.C67.W4]
- World Cosmetics and Toiletries Marketing Directory [*R-HD9970.5.C67.N67]
How can I keep current with the latest news and information in the cosmetics industry?
- Locate articles trade journals and newspapers in Indexes and Abstracts by formulating a search strategy.
- Search in electronic databases and print indexes for abstracts, full text articles, research reports.
- See also “Best of the Web” or “Internet Sites by Subject” (Technology > Building & Construction) for additional related web sites.
An index is a print or electronic resource that provides citations to articles published in periodicals, journals or newspapers. Some are general while others are specific in their subject coverage.
An abstract has all the information provided by an index with the addition of a summary of the article.
Note: For additional information on Indexes/Abstracts: see: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/science/scindexes.htm
- Use AND, OR, NOT to combine your keywords: i.e.
“Revlon and lipstick” will yield articles with both terms
“perfumes or fragrances” will yield articles with perfumes or fragrances or both
“toiletries not toilets” will yield articles with toiletries, but not toilets
- Use truncation or wildcards (usually represented by * or ?) to find terms with similar roots:
E.g. perfume* with yield articles with perfumes, perfumery, perfumeries, etc.
- To search a phrase, use quotes: e.g. “skin care”; “hair sprays”
- To be more specific in a search, limit the search by:
Language (e.g. English)
Date (e.g. last 12 months)
Type (e.g. industry surveys; company overviews)
Format (e.g. full text)
Level (secondary; research)
These resources are available in the Rohatyn Electronic Information Center (EIC) at SIBL or are available from home/school/office with an NYPL borrowers card (*) from the library website, (http://www.nypl.org/databases/index.cfm?act=2&j=home). See also the Research Libraries listing of online databases: http://www.nypl.org/databases/ for a complete listing of on-site databases.
Note: For additional information on electronic databases, see: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/science/scieic.htm
- Applied Science and Technology Abstracts (EIC)
Articles. Abstract and Index Database. Locate articles in 390 key English language periodicals in applied sciences. Covers engineering, computers, mathematics, physics, energy related topics, chemistry, and data processing. 1983 - Present. Updated: Monthly. Also available in print 1958 - Present. (*R-SIBL Z7913.I7).
- EBSCOHost (EIC) and (*)
A family of abstract and full-text databases. Relevant ones include: Academic Search Premier, Business Source Premier, Masterfile Premier, Newspaper Source, Professional Development Collection.
- General Science Abstracts
Articles. Abstract and Index Database. Locate articles in periodicals covering astronomy, biology, the environment, conservation, health, microbiology and oceanography, and other subjects. 1984 - Present. Updated: Monthly.
- PROMT (Predicast Overview of Markets and Technology) (EIC)
Articles. Full Text and Abstract Database. Use this database to research companies, the products and technologies they produce, and the markets in which they compete. Includes summaries and full text from nearly 1,000 business and trade journals, industry newsletters, newspapers, market research studies, news releases, and investment and brokerage firm reports. 1994 - Present. Updated: Daily.
The following electronic databases also contains relevant articles/reports regarding cosmetics:
- Business & Company Resource Center (EIC) and (*)
- Environmental Policy Index (EIC)
- General BusinessFile ASAP (EIC)
Selected Print Indexes and Abstracts
- Abstracts in new technologies and engineering (ANTE)[*R-Z7913 .A27]
- Applied science & technology index [*R-Z7913 .I7 1958-Present]
- Current contents. Physical, chemical & earth sciences (CC/PC&ES) [*R-Z7143.C85]
- General science index [*R-Z7401 .G46]
- Cosmetic Index – Resources on the Web
Online source for cosmetic supplies, services, and resources.
- Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR)
The Cosmetics Ingredient Review reviews and assesses the safety of ingredients used in cosmetics and publishes results in peer reviewed scientific literature.
- Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association
Publisher of The Cosmetics Ingredient Review, reviews and assesses the safety of ingredients used in cosmetics and publishes results in peer reviewed scientific literature.
A web page of cosmetics industry links compiled by the International Trade Data System, a federal government information technology initiative.
- European Commission-Enterprise DG-Cosmetics
The site has European cosmetics legislation and related regulatory issues such as hair dyes.
- European Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association (Colipa)
Contains the information on animal testing, issues and debates raised by the EU Cosmetics Directive, concerns of the industry, and press releases.
- FDA/CFSAN Cosmetics
The FDA's web information on cosmetics including ingredients, labeling, regulations and international activities.
- Fragrance Foundation
The site features on online database of over 1,000 fragrances, searchable by company or fragrance name, a bibliography of industry reference sources, and interviews with leading professionals in the field.
- Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers and Distributors
The site has information on ICMAD's activities, membership, and publications, along with a list of related industry links.
- International Fragrance Association (IFRA)
Composed of members worldwide, the site has IFRA's code of practice, industry standards, news, and overview.
- New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists
The NY chapter of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, the site features industry notes, news, and events.
- Professional Salon Industry Portal
A portal site of beauty industry news, associations, shows, events, and contacts.
- Soap & Cosmetics on the Web
The online site of the magazine Soap & Cosmetics has a searchable database of their archives, buyers' guide, and conference calendar.
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists:
The society's is composed of scientists with no corporate membershp, who are involved in the academic or industrial field of cosmetics. The site has information on their meetings, publications, and educational programs.