- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
NYPL's National Poetry Contest on Twitter OFFICIAL RULES OF ENTRY
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING.
Contest may only be entered in or from the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia and entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. This Contest is governed exclusively by the laws of the United States. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia.
1. Eligibility: Entrant must be a legal a resident of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, who is thirteen (13) years or older as of the date of entry. Employees of The New York Public Library ("Sponsor"), its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and their family/household members (defined as parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents) are not eligible to enter. Void outside the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law. All federal, state and/or local rules and regulations apply.
2. Start/End Dates: Contest begins at 12:00:01 a.m. E.T. on Friday, March 1, 2013 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. E.T. on Sunday, March 10, 2013 ("Entry Period").
3. How to Enter: Entrants must register at nypl.org/poetrycontestregistration and agree to abide by these Official Rules of Entry in order to be eligible to enter the Contest. To enter the Contest, during the Entry Period go to www.twitter.com ("Twitter Site") and (1) if entrant already has a Twitter account, log on using entrant's Twitter user name and password, then become a follower of @NYPL by searching for "@NYPL", clicking on the @NYPL icon and then clicking the "Follow" button or (2) if entrant does not already have a Twitter account, create a Twitter account according to the instructions on the Twitter Site and follow @NYPL as indicated in (1) above. Please note that entrant must agree to comply with the Twitter Terms of Service in order to create a Twitter account. Once entrant becomes a follower of @NYPL, entrants must submit three (3) poetic "Tweets" of one hundred and forty (140) characters or less meeting the topic requirements described below with the @NYPL Twitter handle during the Entry Period ("Entry") to be a valid Entry. Three (3) poetic Tweets constitute one (1) Entry and each poem must contain the @NYPL Twitter handle. Two (2) of the poems can cover any topic of the entrant's choice, but at least one (1) of the three (3) poems needs to be about libraries, books, reading, or New York City. The Entry must be original, unpublished, and must not have won any award.
Entrant may submit one (1) Entry per day during the Entry Period. Multiple entries received from any Twitter account beyond this limit will void all such additional entries.
If any Entry contains material that is violent, pornographic, obscene, illegal, inappropriate, or racially or morally offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, such Entry may be rejected as ineligible for consideration. Entries must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. Entries must be received during the Entry Period to be eligible for the Contest. Sponsor's computer shall be the official timekeeper for all matters related to this Contest. Entries generated by a script, macro, or other automated means will be disqualified. Entries that are incomplete, garbled, corrupted, or unintelligible for any reason, including, but not limited to, computer or network malfunction or congestion, are void and will not be accepted.
4. Judges: The judges for NYPL's National Poetry Contest on Twitter include:
Brett Fletcher Lauer, Deputy Director, Poetry Society of America;
Jennifer Benka, Executive Director, The Academy of American Poets;
Karen Gisonny, Helen Bernstein Librarian for Periodicals, The New York Public Library; and
Steven G. Fullwood, Archivist, Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture.
Learn more about the judges here.
5. Winner Selection and Notification: Ten (10) potential winners will be selected on or about Monday, March 18, 2013, from the eligible entries by the Judges based equally on the following criteria: originality, creativity and artistic quality. In the event of a tie, an additional "tie-breaker" judge will determine the potential winner from among all such tied entries using the judging criteria above. Decisions of the Judges are final and binding. Potential winners will be notified by contact information provided at registration. In the event a potential winner declines a prize, Sponsor may, at its discretion, select an alternate winner. Sponsor reserves the right to not award all prizes if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of qualified and eligible entries. In case of a dispute over the identity of an entrant, the "Authorized Account Holder" of the Twitter account used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. Authorized Account Holder is defined as the person who is assigned to a Twitter account by the Twitter Site. An entrant may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that the entrant is the Authorized Account Holder.
6. Prizes: The following prizes will be awarded:
A selection of the winning poems will be featured as embedded Tweets on an NYPL website, retweeted on the NYPL Twitter account, and posted on other NYPL social media accounts during National Poetry Month between Monday, April 1, 2013 and Tuesday, April 30, 2013. A selection of winning poems may also be featured in an NYPL electronic publication. In addition, winners will receive a copy of Anne Carson's Red Doc>, approximate retail value: $24.95, John Ashbery's Quick Question: New Poems, approximate retail value: $24.99, Jorie Graham's Place: New Poems, approximate retail value: $15.99, Kimiko Hahn's The Narrow Road to the Interior, approximate retail value: $15.95, and Lucille Clifton's The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton 1965-2010, approximate retail value: $35.00.
Sponsor makes no warranties with regard to the prizes. Sponsor shall have no obligation to copy, publish, display or otherwise exploit the Entry. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions of prize allowed by winners, but Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value due to prize unavailability. Prizes are not redeemable by winner for cash value. All taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of winner.
7. Affidavit of Eligibility/Release: Potential winners will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where lawful, a Publicity Release. If a potential winner is a minor (under 18, or under 19 in Alabama and Nebraska), prize will be awarded to minor's parent or legal guardian, who must sign and return all required documents. If the potential winner cannot be contacted within seven (7) calendar days of first notification attempt, if prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if potential winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
8. Conditions: By entering the Contest, entrants grant Sponsor the non-exclusive, royalty-free, and irrevocable rights to use, reproduce, copy, publish, display, distribute, perform, translate, adapt, modify, and otherwise exploit the Entry and to incorporate the Entry in other works in any and all markets and media worldwide in perpetuity without additional compensation, notification, permission or approval. Entrants warrant that they have the sole and exclusive right to grant such rights to Sponsor and that the Sponsor's reproduction, publishing, displaying, and/or other use of the Entry will not infringe on any rights of third parties, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or publicity, or create claims for defamation, false light, idea misappropriation, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, or breach of contract. Sponsor will have right to photograph winner. Entry constitutes permission to use the winner's name, picture, likeness, and city and state of residence for purposes of trade, publicity or promotion for no additional compensation except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, and its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotions agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Sponsor is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
9. Miscellaneous: Entries will not be returned. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure, human error or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. The Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or Entry to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, any combination thereof, or otherwise, including any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Contest. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. Governing Law: The Contest is governed by, and will be construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, and the forum and venue for any dispute shall be in New York, New York.
11. Severability: If any provision of these rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
13. List of Winners: To obtain a list of winners, email firstname.lastname@example.org after Monday, April 15, 2013.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of this Contest is The New York Public Library, Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788.