The West Farms Branch, which began as a "sub-branch" of The New York Public Library in 1929, has been serving residents of the South Bronx in its present location on Honeywell Avenue since 1954.
Its patrons include a diverse Hispanic and African American population as well as immigrants from Asia and Africa. West Farms was recently renovated through the Library's Adopt-a-Branch Program. Among the improvements are restored walls and finishes, new air conditioning, and the installation of a ramp and elevator providing full access to persons who use wheelchairs. The Branch has reading rooms for adults and young adults on the first floor, and a children's room on the second floor with a toddler area and a separate story hour room. A 1,200 square-foot outdoor reading area opens off the library's first floor.