- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
BARD Download Instructions Using a Mac Computer
Finding Books and Magazines
- Login to BARD by entering your email and password.
- Search the database and find a book you would like to download and read. You may search for a specific book or browse through recently added books, most popular titles, by subject, or by author. There is a separate section for finding magazines. You can search for a specific magazine or you can browse through a list of recently added issues. In addition, there are links to FAQs and to manage your account.
- You may also first search the NLS Voyager catalog, then login when requested once you've selected a book to read.
Download a Book or Magazine
- At the end of each book annotation, you'll find a link for downloading the book. It will repeat the title and book number.
- For magazines, choosing a title will bring up a list of links for individual issues.
- Press Enter or click on the download link for the desired book or magazine issue.
- A small box will open asking if you would like to Open or Save the book you are downloading. Click Save.
- Most Macs default to saving files to the Downloads folder on your hard drive. If you have not changed this default setting, then the book you download will most likely be saved to the Downloads folder. The download process will therefore begin automatically when you click Save.
- If you don’t know where the Downloads folder is on your computer, you can still easily locate the book on your hard drive by opening your hard drive and searching for the title or DB number of the book using the search bar at the top right corner.
- The book will download. This process may take a few minutes, depending on the size of the book. Most books are about 100-120 Megabytes (MB).
- The speed of the download may vary as it ticks along, and the time remaining may go up or down rapidly. These occurrences are normal whenever you download something from the internet. Download time varies depending on the speed of your internet connection.
- While you are waiting for your book to download, plug your USB flash drive into your computer.
- An icon for your USB flash drive will usually appear on your desktop when it is connected, and the icon is usually named the brand or model name of the USB flash drive. If you have the finder open, you may also see your USB flash drive listed under Devices.
- When the book finishes downloading, it will appear as a zipped file. The icon will most likely look like a piece of paper with a zipper on it. You cannot simply copy and paste the zipped file onto your USB flash drive. Your digital player will not recognize the book.
- Locate and double click on the zipped file. The files inside will automatically be unarchived into a new folder with the same name as the original zipped file, which will also be saved in the same place as the original zipped file.
- You may want to change the name of this new folder when the unarchiving process is finished, since the default name can be quite long (default name = author name, title, DB number).
- Drag and drop the new folder onto your USB flash drive.
- Eject your USB flash drive from your computer.
- Plug your USB flash drive into your digital player.
- The player will recognize the book that is on your USB flash drive. You can't have both a USB flash drive and a book cartridge in the machine at the same time.
- You can put multiple books on your USB flash drive, depending on the amount of available space. We recommend putting no more than 10 books on a USB flash drive. You might need to update your NLS player's software. You can get the latest version at the NLS Firmware site.
- You may delete the zipped file once you complete the unarchiving process. Doing so will not jeopardize the files in the new folder.