Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

Book Fund

Stapleton Library

The Stapleton Branch of The New York Public Library, which originally opened in 1907, is located on Canal Street, near the center of Stapleton Village and adjacent to Tappen Park and the Old Village Hall. The graceful, single story, brick and limestone building was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. It was designed by Carrère and Hastings.

It was closed in 2010 for extensive expansion and renovations, and reopened in on June 11, 2013 to great fanfare. Today the Stapleton Branch continues to be a center of community life. The branch serves its diverse neighborhood by presenting programs for all ages, providing access to computer technology and lending books, magazines and other media to inform, educate, and entertain.

 Exterior view, Digital ID 100946, New York Public Library

Stapleton Library with the old PS 14 building in the background (early 1900s)