Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

Morrisania Library

The Morrisania Branch of The New York Public Library holds a commanding position on McKinley Square.

The area was once farmland owned by Jonas Bronck, the man who gave his name to the Bronx. He sold his land in 1660 to Captain Richard and Colonel Lewis Morris, who changed the name of the land from Broncksland to Morrisania. Designed by Babb, Cook and Willard and opened in 1908, the branch was constructed from funds given to New York City by Andrew Carnegie. Fully accessible to persons who use wheelchairs, the two-story facility houses an adult and young adult collection on the first floor and a children's collection on the second. A multi-use meeting room located on the second floor is available for community group meetings as well as library programs and has a seating capacity of 68.

Chat with a librarian now

Follow Morrisania Library on: