The Inwood Branch - Manhattan's northernmost branch - serves a large multi-ethnic community.
The branch has strong Spanish-language collections and a small Russian-language collection, both including a wide range of audiobooks and DVDs. The branch also offers English classes for adults whose native tongue is another language. The children's room on the second floor includes space for programs; events for teenagers and adults take place in the auditorium. In 1902, NYPL began providing services to the Inwood neighborhood in collaboration with the Dyckman Library. Twenty-one years later NYPL expanded its presence in the area when it opened a sub-branch at a private house, to the study hall of the old George Washington High School, and to two other locations. Finally, in 1952, the branch moved into its present location in a three-story building on Broadway, just north of Dyckman Street.
A renovation through the Library's Adopt-a-Branch program was completed in 2001 making the branch accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. An expansion of the southeast corner provides a separate reference room on the first floor and large reading room for toddlers on the second. Upgraded air conditioning, elevator, and 16 new computer workstations were also added.
Read more about the early history of the New York Public Library including that of the neighboring Washington Heights Branch in Harry Miller Lydenberg's History of The New York Public Library, which has been digitized in NYPL's Digital Collections (or download the PDF directly, 659mb).
Also available: Washington Heights, Manhattan: Its Eventful Past, by Reginald Pelham Bolton (download the PDF directly, 47mb).