- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Reading Room Rules & Regulations for the Arents Collection
1. Readers requesting access to Rare Book Division & George Arents Collection materials must first register for admission online , and await confirmation from a Division staff member before arriving.
2. Researchers must hold an NYPL Library Card , which can be obtained in the Library’s Main Reading Room, and must be able to present a valid government-issued photo ID to Division staff.
3. Individuals who are granted access to the Division receive a brief orientation and are issued a card of admission to the Division. The card of admission is not transferable.
A card of admission does not guarantee access to all materials .
4. Only pencils (ink may not be used for note taking) and laptop computers (without cases) may be brought into the reading room. Paper will be provided by the Division for note taking, upon request. All other personal belongings, including coats, jackets, hats, purses, and bags, must be checked in the Library’s coatroom. Please plan your visit accordingly.
Readers may be asked to check in the Library’s coatroom any items deemed inappropriate by the Curator of the Rare Book Division or ranking assistant .
5. Books or other reading materials may not be brought into the reading room, except with the prior consent of the Curator or ranking assistant of the Rare Book Division.
6. Photography in the Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room is not permitted. All photoduplication is carried out by New York Public Library staff. For information about obtaining photographic reproductions of items from the collection, please consult with theLibrary’s Office of Photographic Services & Permissions
7. Listen carefully to staff instructions for the handling of Rare Book Division and George Arents Collection materials. In all cases, Rare Book Division staff will determine the manner in which materials are set up for viewing. Do not lean on or place anything on top of Library materials. Tracing or rubbing of materials is not permitted. Materials may not be transferred to another reader.
8. All items are subject to examination by Library staff upon entering and leaving the Reading Room.