- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The Stephen A. Schwarzman Building is a closed-stack research library. We strongly encourage you to request materials at least 24 hours ahead of your visit. If you are unable to do so, requests can be submitted by using paper call slips in the Rose Main Reading Room and waiting for your materials to arrive from the stacks. To begin your research:
- If you aren't already a New York Public Library cardholder, obtain your library card. Library cards can be obtained by anyone, including residents from outside of New York.
- Consult the online catalog of the New York Public Library.
- Note the location on the catalog record. The catalog includes collections held at all New York Public Library locations, so materials in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building will have the location Schwarzman Building followed by the name of a particular division. General Research materials have the designation Schwarzman Building-Main Reading Room.
- Paper call slips are submitted in the Rose Main Reading Room's South Hall, while delivery takes place in the North Hall.
- Materials designated as OFFSITE may be requested via the Electronic Request Form found in the item's catalog record (best option). You may also request offsite items with a paper slip or via e-mail. Materials will arrive within 1-2 business days.
For more detailed information on research strategies and our collections, you may wish to consult our subject and research guides, which survey both print and electronic resources, as well as recommended reference titles.
For questions about requesting materials, please contact our telephone reference service at 917-ASK-NYPL (917-275-6975) or ask us a question.