Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

Book Fund

Fort Washington Library

Happy Birthday Fort Washington Library! Read more about the early history of the New York Public Library including that of the nearby Washington Heights Branch in Harry Miller Lydenberg's History of The New York Public Library, the section on the history of Washington Heights begins on p.189 (p. 249 of the PDF), and a statistical history of the Carnegie Building of the Fort Washington Branch appears on p. 544-545 (664-5 of the PDF). Also available: Washington Heights, Manhattan: Its Eventful Past, by Reginald Pelham Bolton (download the PDF directly, 47mb).

We have collections of materials in Spanish and Russian. We also offer English Classes for Speakers of Other Languages held during fall, winter, and spring and English Conversation classes in fall and spring.  Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

When the Fort Washington Branch celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1989, several well-known personalities, including Henry Kissinger and journalist/author Edwin Newman, fondly recalled how important the branch was to them as teenagers. Among the many other noted residents this branch has served are Lou Gehrig, Maria Callas, Ralph Ellison, Marianne Moore, and Jacob Javits. Built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, Fort Washington opened to the public in April 1914 in its present location, two blocks east of the George Washington Bridge. Today the branch continues to be a valuable resource to the community. It has book collections in Spanish, Russian, and other languages available for borrowing.

Chat with a librarian now

Follow Fort Washington Library on: