Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

Book Fund

Columbus Library

The Columbus Branch of The New York Public Library has been a center for education in the multi-ethnic, working-class neighborhood of Clinton since the branch opened in 1909.


It is one of 65 libraries built in the early twentieth century with funds contributed by Andrew Carnegie. The nucleus of the collection came from the reading room of the Columbus Catholic Club, a social and educational club for young men.  In 1901, the club's library was incorporated into the Cathedral Free Circulating Library, and in 1905, as the city's library movement developed, it became part of the New York Public Library.  

The Columbus Branch reopened in 2005 after the first complete rehabilitation and modernization of the elegant Renaissance Revival, Indiana limestone building since the 1960s. From the 1970s until its closure in 2004, the library operated on only one floor.  The renovation keeps many of the building's historic elements, including the original iron-railed staircase and the oak-paneled entrance vestibule.  The major changes include: complete redesign and reconfiguration of the interior public service areas, restoration of the second floor as a dedicated children's and teen space, and a new elevator serving all floors.  The Columbus branch recently added a brand new NYPL Tech Connect computer lab on the lower level, which provides free weekday computer classes conducted by trained professionals.   


Chat with a librarian now

Follow Columbus Library on: