The Bronx Library Center is the largest public library in the Bronx, with extensive collections of print and non-print materials for adults, young adults, and children. It features New York Public Library’s premiere Latino and Puerto Rican Heritage Collection.
The Bronx Library Center opened it doors to the public on January 17, 2006. This $50m state-of-the-art 78,000 square feet center is NYPL's first green library. It was presented with the LEED Silver Certification Award in 2007. Click here to watch a short video about the Bronx Library Center’s green features.
- Special programs for adults and teenagers
- English Classes for Speakers of Other Languages held during fall, winter, and spring
- Story hours and other activities for children
- Class visits by appointment
The Fordham Library Center of The New York Public Library opened to the public in 1923. Because of the need for expanded reference services for the borough, the Bronx Reference Center was added to the branch in 1931. By the 1950s the library had become overcrowded due to population growth in the area and the success of the Bronx Reference Center. The original building was renovated, and the new and expanded Fordham reopened in 1956. The Fordham Library Center closed its doors in November 2005 to pave the way for the bigger and more beautiful Bronx Library Center, which opened January 17, 2006.
The BLC is Green!
The Bronx Library Center is The New York Public Library's first "green" or sustainable facility and the first such public project in New York City, according to the U.S. Green Building Council.
What Green Means… at the Bronx Library Center (video)
Bronx Library Center Recognized for Sustainable Design Features by the U.S. Green Building Council (press release)
LEED Project Profile (pdf)