The Pelham Parkway-Van Nest Branch of The New York Public Library is a modern building with a distinctive gray facade. It is located around the corner from the busy commercial area on Lydig Avenue. This one-story facility houses adult, teen, and children's collections, as well as extensive World Languages collections, featuring books in Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Russian, Spanish, Urdu, and many other languages. All parts of the library, with the exception of the restroom, are wheelchair-accessible.
The history of the branch goes back to 1912. It occupied a series of small storefront locations around the Van Nest neighborhood until it moved to its current location near Pelham Parkway in 1968. Since then, it has variously been known as Van Nest-Pelham, Van Nest, and, since 2014, as Pelham Parkway-Van Nest.