This award recognizes an NYPL staff member who during the past year has demonstrated an outstanding contribution to improving public reference service.
Nominees should have specific examples that demonstrate at least one of the following:
- Improving public participation in lifelong learning activities, reading enjoyment, and acquiring information literacy skills;
- Consistently demonstrated application of "the teaching moment" when helping users with their reference and information needs;
- Creative use of technology to enhance delivery of reference and information services to the public;
- Creation of original work (regardless of the medium used) that contributes to increased public awareness of reference and information services.
All active staff are eligible for this award, and may be nominated by another staff member or members of the public. Awards are conferred annually and nominations may be submitted between November 1 and January 15.
A nomination should include the following information:
- Name of person making nomination
- Your contact information (email or telephone)
- Name of the staff member you are nominating
- Where does the nominee work?
- Briefly describe the reasons for the nomination.
- Describe a specific event, project, or situation that illustrates your reason for this nomination
Nominations may be dropped off at any NYPL location, or mailed to:
Attn: Staff Awards
Learning and Development Department
The New York Public Library
445 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016
2013 Tanisha Jones, Director, Moving Image Archive, Library for the Performing Arts
2012 James Soucé, Ask NYPL
2011 Armand Isip, Mid-Manhattan Library
2010 Brooke Watkins, General Research Division, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
2009 Elizabeth Waters, Mid-Manhattan Library
2008 Ambrose Thompson, Hunts Point Library