- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Screen Magnification, Screen Reading, and Other Software
All library locations have Internet workstations which are equipped with screen magnification software (MAGic) and screen reading software (JAWS).
MAGic® Screen Magnification Software
MAGic screen magnification software allows users to customize the computer's monitor view for ease of reading.
- Increase the size of content displayed on a monitor
- Add tinting to the screen
- Set the contents of screen to appear in monochrome
- Invert brightness and colors
- Switch the colors of the text and background
- Eliminate screen glare and boost contrast
- Can speak aloud screen content
JAWS Screen Reading Software
Developed for computer users whose vision loss prevents them from seeing screen content, JAWS reads aloud what's on the PC screen and allows for comprehensive keyboard interaction with the computer.
The Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library offers additional software.
- NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) screen reading software
- Talking Typing Teacher, for learning to type
- Duxbury braille translation software
- Kurzweil 1000 scanning and reading software