- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Tools for Teaching
More than 700,000 searchable images, maps and documents to augment your classroom curriculum. Try searching for your neighborhood to bring up maps and pictures of how it developed! Watch a short video on how to search and use Digital Gallery images.Go To Digital Gallery >
Curated resources for supporting teaching and learning, many with interactive elements or curriculum ideas.
- Three Faiths: Judaism, Christianity, Islam - Includes beautiful sacred texts from each belief system, educational materials and photos of "faith on the street" from fellow New Yorkers.
- Immigrant City - Find pictures and Voicethreads to use with your students, contribute to a Google My Maps to point out special sites, share immigration stories, and find/share lesson plans. The site also has links to other immigration resources as well as suggested reading.
- African Americans and American Politics - Before Barack Obama, there was Crispus Attucks, Frederick Douglass, the Massachusetts 54th Regiment, Mary McLeod Bethune, Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. and a host of other heroes and heroines of the African-American struggle for freedom and human dignity, fighting to make America and American Democracy real for all of its citizens.
- Digital Schomburg - Relying on the expertise of distinguished curators and scholars, Digital Schomburg provides access to trusted information, interpretation and scholarship on the global black experience.
- Historical Postcards of New York City - A fascinating historical peek at all five boroughs of New York City from the 1890’s until the 1920’s is provided through the 500 postcards newly added to the NYPL Digital Gallery.
- View All Online Exhibitions >
Theme-based interactive slide shows with DBQs for the classroom using the NYPL Digital Gallery. Create your own online, narrated slide presentations on a wide variety of topics.
Subscription Databases for Educators
Search our databases by journal title to find resources for educators. Our holdings include: Curriculum Administrator, Education, Education Digest, Educational Leadership, High School Journal, Journal of Education, Journal of Educational Research, Journal of Learning Disabilities, Reading Teacher, School Library Journal, and others. Use the same tool to search by journal subject; look under "Social Sciences" for "Education - General," "Education, Special Topics," and "Theory & Practice of Education."
Subscription Databases for Students
Find articles, audio, glossaries, translations and more.
- Amazing Animals of the World
- Authors A-Z (Twayne's Authors Series)
- Biography in Context
- Grolier Online
- LearningExpress Library
- Literature Resource Center
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center
- Science Online
- U.S. History in Context
- World Book Online Reference Center
Watch a short video on how to search for what you need.
Digital Map Rectifier
Teach mapping skills by overlaying historical maps on modern streets.Go To The Map Warper >
Students can use HomeworkNYC "apps" right from their social networking pages to help them with homework.Go To HomeworkNYC >
VideoView All Videos >
The New York Public Library thanks The Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation for their generous support of Teaching and Learning Programs at NYPL.