- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
(CEIS) Baychester Library: "Job Search Club and Resume Clinic"
February 18, 2014
Career, Education and Information Services
A job interview can be very stressful, especially if you are not fully prepared. Let Mrs. Saunders, our Dynamic Career Coach share some tips that can help:
- Get to the interview at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time.
- Dress in business attire unless the interviewer has specified otherwise.
- Never talk negatively about previous work experiences; it can give your prospective employer a bad impression of you.
- Be yourself! Use statements that are comfortable for you when answering questions.
- Find out information about the company you are interviewing with prior to your interview. Visit the company's site and search for articles and press releases written about or by the organization. Also take time to familiarize yourself with the company's competition.
- Silence isn't necessarily a bad thing! Take your time when answering questions.
- Have 3-5 prepared questions for the interviewer.
- Don't hesitate to ask the interviewer when they will make a hiring decision.
- Ask for a business card from all interviewers so you have their contact information for thank you notes.
- Always close the interview by expressing thanks and appreciation for their time.
- Send a hand-written thank you note as soon after the interview as possible.
- If you have interviewed with more than one person, each person should receive a thank you note.
- Class Format: Hands on
- Skill prerequisites: Basic mouse and keyboarding skills, Basic internet skills
- Audience: Adults, 50+, College & Graduate Students, Immigrants, Incarcerated Persons/Previously Incarcerated Persons (not for public website), Job Seekers, Young Adults/Pre GED (16-24 years), Adults