- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Free Tax E-Filing & Assistance
It's Tax Time. File for Your Refund!
The New York Public Library can help
At participating sites, you can prepare and electronically file
your tax return with some help from a tax assistant... all for free.
To participate in this free program, you must:
- Earn less than $50,000 (per tax return).
- Have a valid e-mail address and basic computer skills.
- Bring all pertinent documents and information.
Free tax preparation assistance begins January 30 through April 15.
Free tax preparation assistance operating hours:
Information You’ll Need to File Your Taxes
- Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for you and everyone you are claiming on your tax return, including dependents.
- Birth dates for yourself, your spouse, and everyone you are claiming on the return.
- Your 2011 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Self-Select PIN number. (AGI is the amount shown on your 2011. Form 1040, line 38; Form 1040A, line 22; or Form 1040EZ, line 4. The Self-Select PIN is the five-digit PIN you used to electronically sign your 2011 return.) If you cannot find this information, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040 to get these numbers before you go to the site to file your return.
- Wage and earning statement from your employer (s): Form W-2, Form W-2G, 1099-R
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1098 and 1099)
- Proof of any other income, e.g. lottery winnings
- Total paid for child care provider and the provider’s Taxpayer Identification Number or SSN (if you are claiming the New York City Child Care Tax Credit)
- Bank account and routing numbers (if you are directly depositing your refund). You can find these numbers at the bottom of checks
- Audience: Adults, 50+, Businesspeople, College & Graduate Students, Families, Persons with Disabilities