- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Money Matters: Resume & "Pitch" Intensive: Craft Messages that Land Interviews & Offers
Is your resume communicating how you can help a prospective employer in the 15 seconds a hiring manager is going to look at it? Are you positioning yourself correctly for the job you want, or are you too focused on your last job?
In this seminar, we will review examples of resumes and pitches (what you tell interviewers and others about your experience) from actual job search "success stories" to get the facts straight about what works, and what doesn't. In the process, you’ll learn how to write an effective resume and craft a compelling pitch that will help you get and ace interviews. Specifically, we’ll cover:
- Before and after resume examples, so you can clearly see what works.
- Nine resume “do’s” and six resume “don’ts” that will debunk a lot myths and save you time.
- For career and industry-changers, how to relate your prior experience to what you’re looking to do next.
- How to address common issues, like gaps in your resume, too-much or too-little experience, or job-hopping.
- What you need to know about adapting your resume for your LinkedIn profile.
Robert Hellmann has helped hundreds of clients in diverse industries and professions to reach their job-search and on-the-job goals. In addition to his private practice, Rob is a certified Five O'Clock Club Career Coach and an adjunct professor at NYU’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies. His career-related insights and commentary have appeared in media outlets such as the New York Times, Forbes, the Washington Post, Money Magazine, CNBC.com, the Chicago Tribune, ABC News and NBC News. He is also the author of the book "Your Social Media Job Search", and wrote two chapters on organizational leadership for the upcoming Five O’Clock Club book “Work Smarts.”
- Audience: Adults