- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Flamenco: 100 Years of Flamenco in New York
March 12th, 2013 - August 3rd, 2013
The multi-media exhibition is an integral part of collaboration between The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts and Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana. Photographs, costumes and performance regalia, film, oral histories, and the sound of castanets and taconeo will entertain and educate the visitor. Performances, film screenings, panels, and educational programs will continue through the spring and summer in the Library’s Bruno Walter Auditorium.
The exhibition has received support from the following generous sponsors:
The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation, Con Edison, The Committee for the Jerome Robbins Dance Division, Jerome Robbins Foundation, Consulate General of Spain, Harkness Foundation for Dance, Inc. and New York Council for the Humanities
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts gratefully acknowledges the leadership support of Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman. Additional support for exhibitions has been provided by Judy R. and Alfred A. Rosenberg and the Miriam and Harold Steinberg Foundation.
Among the artifacts on display will be:
- Costume pieces and performance regalia, such as La Argentina’s lace mantilla and mirror and male flamenco costumes of Mariano Parra, as well as contemporary costumes from Flamenco Vivo
- Engravings of Spanish and Gypsy dance performance and venues from Spain and NYC, from 1840 - , and photographs up to the present
- Souvenir brochures and original texts for publicity for tours and NYC performances by La Argentinita, Pilar Lopez, and José Greco
- Castanets, castanet instructions and castanet recordings (of La Argentina)
- Film and video, beginning with Edison’s 1-minute film of “Carmencita” (1894), performances and demonstration films by Matteo, Escudero and La Argentina (1940 – 1960s), and moving into the present-day documentation by the Dance Division
Please note that the Vincent Astor Gallery will be close at 4:45pm on the following dates: April 23, April 25, May 1, and May 2, 2013. Thank you.