- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Expectations for Students
Students who come to the Centers are adults over 16, are out of school, and would like to improve their reading and writing.
Students can join a tutoring group of three to six students. The groups meet twice a week and are led by volunteer tutors who are guided by professional staff.
Adult learners can also come to the Centers to borrow easy-to-read books and make appointments to use computers.
Reading Level: 0 - 5.9
- COME TO AN INFORMATION SESSION AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR INTAKE!
- Commit to at least six months (two 10-week cycles) and periodic testing to measure progress. It is our expectation that this will be a rewarding experience and that a student will wish to continue if goals still need to be met.
- Attend all tutoring sessions.
- Realize that homework (home practice) will be helpful.
- Be responsible for working with the tutor to plan lessons.
- Notify the center promptly about any change in address, phone, etc.