- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Job Search Central
A Pipeline of Well-Trained Talent: Year Up New York
Almost 6 million young adults in this country are facing social and economic injustice. They lack access to higher education and to the economic mainstream. On the other hand, our economy needs help, U.S. businesses need more and better trained talent to compete in today's global economy.
Year Up is a one-year, intensive training program that provides low-income young adults, ages 18-24, with a combination of hands-on skill development, college credits, corporate internships and support.
For the first six months of the program, students develop technical and professional skills in the classroom. Students then apply those skills during the second six months on an internship at one of Year Up’s corporate partners. Students earn college credits and a weekly stipend, and are supported by staff advisors, professional mentors, dedicated social services staff, and a powerful network of community-based partners.
Technical skills classes at Year Up might include:
- Desktop and Network Support
- Help Desk
- Hardware Repair
- Operating Systems
- Disk Formatting, Partitioning and Ghosting
- Software Installation
- Viruses and Malware
- Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Networking and TCP/IP
- Investment Operations
- Customer Service
- Fund Accounting
Professional and communication skills classes at Year Up might include:
- Business Writing Skills
- Time Management
- Career Networking
- Communicating Clearly and Effectively
- Conflict Resolution and Negotiation
- Working in Teams
- Presentation Skills
- Workplace Norms
- Introduction to Business
- Personal Finance
- Workplace Legal Issues
- Work/Life Balance
Since its founding in 2000, Year Up has served over 8,500 young adults and provided interns for over 250 corporate partners.
You can apply to Year Up if you are:
- 18-24 years old
- High school graduate or GED recipient
- Of low to moderate income
- A U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or have an employment authorization card
- Available 5 days a week (Mon-Friday) for the full year of the program
- Highly motivated to learn new technical and professional skills
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit a STUDENT INTEREST FORM
- Attend an open house or group information session
- Complete your APPLICATION
Classes begin in March and September. Applications are considered on a rolling basis until the class is filled.
For information, please contact Year Up at 55 Exchange Place Suite 403, New York, NY 10005. 212-785-3340.