The NYS STEM Incentive Program provides a full SUNY or CUNY tuition scholarship for the top 10 percent of students in each New York State high school if they pursue a STEM degree in an associates or bachelor degree program and agree to work in a STEM field in New York State for 5 years after graduation.
Governor Andrew Cuomo stated "By helping New York's best and brightest stutents launch their career in-state and in STEM fields, we are laying the foundation for a truly world-class workforce."
SUNY Chancellor Zimpher stated "Across New York, STEM careers are growing 2.5 times faster than those in any other field, and the Governor's incentive program is a valuable opportunity for the next generation to fill the gap. "
The New York State STEM Incentive Program
An applicant must:
- Be a NYS residentBe a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Be enrolled full time at a SUNY or CUNY college beginning with the fall term following his or her high school graduation
- Be ranked in the top 10% of his/her high school graduating class of a NYS high school
- Be matriculated in an undergraduate program leading to a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics at a SUNY or CUNY college
- Earn a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher each term after the first semester
- Execute a service contract agreeing to reside and work in NYS for five years in the field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics. View the terms and conditions of the service contract
- Not be in default on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any state award
- Be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a state award
Students matriculated in the following programs of study may be eligible for a STEM award. The program of study must result in an approved occupation.
Recipients shall receive an annual award for full-time study equal to the annual tuition charged to NYS resident students attending an undergraduate program at the State University of New York, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. The STEM award will be reduced by the amount of any other tuition-only assistance award received.
Recipients shall be entitled to an annual award for not more than four academic years of full-time undergraduate study while matriculated in an approved program leading to a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics or five years if the program of study requires five years.
How to Apply
An applicant must complete and submit the New York State Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Incentive Program Web Supplement by August 15.
Recipients are not required to submit another New York State Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Incentive Program Web Supplement once they have been awarded this scholarship, but must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the NYS Scholarship and Grant Payment Application each year.
Apply for Payment
Award Recipients Must Apply for Payment Each Year: STEM recipients must complete the FAFSA and the Payment of State Grants, Scholarships and Awards Application each year to receive payment.
Payment of Awards: Awards will be paid directly to the schools on behalf of students upon the successful completion of each term. Successful completion of a term means the applicant meets all of the eligibility requirements for the award.
Please contact the Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372 with questions about this scholarship.