- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
How-To: Sign Up for a Free E-mail Account
An e-mail account is good for more than keeping in touch with friends and family! It’s your passport to the internet. Many online services require an e-mail address to join. So whether you want to shop online, pay bills electronically, or use the LearningExpressLibrary to prepare for the TASC or a Civil Service exam, we've got you covered. Follow the directions below to sign up for a free e-mail account with Outlook.com.
- Enter outlook.com in your browser’s search bar, then hit Enter.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see a link that says “Sign up now.” Click it.
- Fill out the form with the information requested.
- Make sure you choose a password that you can remember but that is difficult for others to guess. If you must, write it down in a safe place.
- Your username is like your home address on the outside of an envelope. This is the address you give to friends and family so that they can send you messages. You may get a message telling you that the username you’ve chosen is not available. If you do, try something else, or add a number to the end (such as the year you were born).
- You must enter either a phone number or an alternate email address. If this is your first email account, you can enter your home or mobile number. If you prefer, you can use a dummy number, but if you do, you will not be able to get into your account if you forget your password or get hacked.
- When you are ready, click Create account.
- Congratulations! Now you have an email address! You can use this to sign up for many online services, get electronic hold notices from NYPL, and communicate with friends and family.
- To access your email account in the future, enter outlook.com in your browser’s search bar and hit enter. Enter your email address (e.g., JaneDoe1972@outlook.com) and password in the form, then click Sign in.