The United Plant & Production Workers, Local Union #175, will conduct a recruitment from April 15, 2014 through March 31, 2015 for six skilled construction craft laborer apprentices, State Labor Commissioner Peter M. Rivera announced on March 13, 2014 at Roslyn Heights, New York.
Please note that the openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for the New York City, Long Island, and Mid-Hudson regions. This program's jurisdiction includes the counties of Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Richmond, Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester.
Applications may be obtained at the United Plant & Production Workers, Local Union #175, 99 Mineola Avenue, Roslyn Heights, NY from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Tuesday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have at least a 10th grade education.
- Must sign a statement indicating that he/she is physically able to perform the work of a skilled construction craft laborer, which includes:
- Working an 8-hour day continually on his/her feet.
- Lifting and carrying weights in excess of 95 lbs. for extended periods.
- Working in severe weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
- Working in restrictive or confined spaces.
- Working at heights of 20 feet on scaffolds or platforms.
- Working in ditches or trenches up to 20 feet in depth.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or United Plant & Production Workers Local Union #175 at (516) 487-3110.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.