- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Job Search Central
Local Union #137 Recruitment: Sheet Metal Worker Apprentices
The Sheet Metal Workers International Association Local Union #137, will conduct a recruitment from December 9, 2013 through December 8, 2014 for 10 sheet metal worker (sign hanger/rigger) apprentices, State Labor Commissioner Peter M. Rivera announced on December 5, 2013 at Long Island City, NY.
Applications can be obtained at 21-42 44th Drive, Long Island City, NY from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. every Monday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applicants must provide a valid driver's license and proof of a high school diploma or G.E.D. in order to receive an application.
Please note that apprentices must pay union dues of $48.00 each month. Apprentices also pay an initiation fee, along with their dues, equal to six months of dues. Therefore, apprentices must pay two times the dues rate ($96.00) for the first six months in order to pay off the initiation fee.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D).
- Must sign an affidavit stating that he/she is physically able to perform the work of a sheet metal worker (sign hanger/rigger), which includes:
- Working with sharp objects and hazardous machinery.
- Being exposed to loud noise and respiratory irritants.
- Prolonged standing, climbing, and walking.
- Repeated squatting and bending.
- Working in extreme temperatures and weather conditions.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Lifting and moving heavy and bulky objects and equipment (up to 100 pounds).
- Working from ladders, pipe scaffolds, swinging scaffolds, and unprotected heights that may exceed 100 feet.
- Must have a valid driver's license. Apprentices will be required to drive company vehicles.
- Must have reliable means of transportation to and from various job sites and related instruction.
- Must be willing to travel within the jurisdiction of the SMWIA Local Union #137, which includes the five Boroughs of NYC, Nassau County, and Suffolk County.
- Must pass a math and reading survey.
- Must provide military transfer or discharge form DD-214, if applicable, upon offer or selection.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #137 at 718-937-4514.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.