Almost 6 million young people (that's almost 15 percent of those aged 16 to 24) are neither in school nor working, according to the Opportunity Nation Coalition report. These young adults have a lot of talent but without the opportunity for post secondary education and without access to the economic mainstream. On the other side 14 million jobs requiring post secondary education will go unfulfilled in the next decade.
Year Up is an award-winning, tuition-free program that seeks to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education.
This is an intensive, one-year program that combines hands-on skill development, college credits, and internships at some of America's top companies such as Google, Microsoft, Norstrom's and other world-class organizations. This program prepares students for success in careers in Information Technology, Financial Operations,Quality Assurance and Project Management and success in higher eduation. 84% of our graduaates are employed or attending college full-time within four months of graduation, and earn an average of $15 per hour, or $30,000 per year.
You can apply to be a Year Up student if you are:
- 18-24 years old
- High school graduate or GED recipient
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or have an employment authorization card
- Available 5 days a week (Monday-Friday) for the full year of the program
- Highly motivated to learn technical and professional skills
- Of low to moderate income
Year Up is currently accepting applicants for their March 2014 class. Here is the process:
- Submit an Online Interest Form on the website.
- Attend an Open House. This is an opportunity to meet their staff and current students, and tour the facility.
Tuesdays: 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. and 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Thursdays: 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Location: 55 Exchange Place, Suite 403, New York, NY 10005
For more information, please contact the Outreach Team at 347-296-0210.