- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Job Search Central
Careers in Public Health
The following information is from New York State Department of Health.
Why pursue a career in public health?
Public health is a diverse and growing field that offers many career options for people from a variety of educational backgrounds. Whether you are interested in biology, education, business or anything in between, chances are that you will find a position you enjoy in the field of public health. Public health professionals are essential to keeping our communities safe and healthy, and the work they do is extremely rewarding.
Benefits of a Career in Public Health
A public health career with New York's state and local health departments offers a wide array of benefits.
- Civil Service: State and local governmental employees enter into positions through the Civil Service Merit System. Positions in state government provide competitive pay, excellent health and retirement benefits, generous leave programs and job security.
- Civil Service Examinations: Through these examinations, state and local governmental employees have regular and continuous opportunities for career advancement and transfer positions. The exams also allow for specific job matching to education, training and experience.
- Continuing Education and Staff Development Training: State and local health departments encourage employees to remain current with topics in public health and their individual fields. Depending on the agency, tuition benefits, Professional Conference Leave and other programs may be available to facilitate this ongoing education.
- Fulfilling Work: A job with New York's state or local health departments provides individuals with the opportunity to protect the public's health, help individuals and communities and make a significant contribution to science and the field of public health.
- Emergency Preparedness and Bioterrorism Coordinator
- Engineering Technician
- Engineers - Public Health, Sanitary and Environmental
- Environmental Health Careers
- HIV Training Assistants
- Local Public Health Director/Commissioner
- Local Public Health Educator
- Medical Investigator
- Outreach Worker
- Public Health Adviser
- Public Health Business Manager, Fiscal Services
- Public Health Dental Hygienists
- Public Health Dentist
- Public Health Information Officer
- Public Health Inspector
- Public Health Nurse
- Public Health Nutritionist/Dietitian
- Public Health Physician
- Public Health Planner
- Public/Environmental Health Technician
- Public Health Sanitarian
- Public Health Specialist
- Public Health Support Staff
- Radiological Health Specialist
- Research Scientist
- Water Resource Specialist
For information on education and employment, please visit Job Search Central at 188 Madison Avenue and 34th Street.