- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Make Music New York at NYPL Branches: June 21, 2013
Make Music New York is a live, free musical celebration on June 21, the longest day of the year. From 10 in the morning to 10 at night, public spaces throughout the five boroughs become impromptu musical stages, dance floors, and social meeting points.
MMNY is in its seventh year and is based on France’s Fête de la Musique, a national musical holiday inaugurated in 1982. Ever since, the festival has become an international phenomenon, celebrated on the same day in more than 460 cities in 110 countries, including Germany, Italy, Egypt, Syria, Morocco, Australia, Vietnam, Congo, Cameroon, Fiji, Colombia, Chile, Nepal, and Japan. In North America, Chicago, Vancouver, Pasadena, Los Angeles, Denver, Santa Fe, and Baltimore are all planning “Make Music” days this year.
This year a number of NYPL branches will be taking part in this global celebration of making music. Take some time to check out some of the amazing artists at one of our branches Friday, June 21, 2013.
- 12-1 p.m. Aisling Peatree at New Amsterdam Library
- 1-2 p.m. Noah Becker at Kips Bay Library
- 1-2 p.m. Elizabeth Sher at Grand Central Library
- 1-2 p.m. Sharon Ostrov at Richmondtown Library
- 1-2 p.m. Barry Kay at Mulberry Street Library
- 1-3 p.m. Martha Mooke at Riverside Library
- 1-2 p.m. Brotherhood Experience at Jerome Park Library
- 2-3 p.m. Mariamusician at Roosevelt Island Library
- 2-3 p.m. Dalito ft. Ronny at George Bruce Library
- 2-3 p.m. Koh Kazama at Castle Hill Library
- 2-3 p.m. Kyle Tieman-Strauss & Buck McDaniel at Chatham Square Library
- 2-3 p.m. Adam Tully Tango Trio at Hudson Park Library
- 2-4 p.m. Primal at Sedgwick Library
- 2-2:30 p.m. Rolando Rockoso at 115th Street Library
- 2:30-4 p.m. Raymond Lyman at Morris Park Library
- 3-4 p.m. Ken Silverman at 125th Street Library
- 3-4:30 p.m. Kama Lindsen at Spuyten Dutvil Library
- 3-4 p.m. Akshara at Westchester Square Library
- 3-4 p.m. The Library is on Fire at Tompkins Square Library
- 3-4 p.m. Brotherhood Experience at Mott Haven Library
- 3-4 p.m. Canvas Radio at Tottenville Library
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. MaG at Francis Martin Library
- 3:30-4 p.m. Lowfi at Morrisania Library
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. Elina Akselrud at 67th Street Library
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. Fayola at Harlem Library
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. SusLife at Grand Concourse Library
- 4-4:30 p.m. Nazdaq Brixx at Morrisania Library
In 2011, Make Music New York also launched a winter solstice festival called Make Music Winter, with 12 participatory musical parades on December 21st. The next Make Music Winter will take place on Saturday, December 21, 2013.