- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
A List of Lists: April 2013
Visit NYPL's BiblioCommons for these lists and many more. See below for some interesting staff picks from the past couple months, on topics both timely and timeless:
- Love Game of Thrones? Recommended Reading from George R. R. Martin - Recommended fantasy and historical fiction reading from Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin. Martin offered these recommendations on his blog in March 2013 in response to readers who ask what to read while "waiting for [his] next one." The Huffington Post then published these as a reading list. We've included a link to Martin's books in our catalog as well as to any of his recommendations currently available to borrow or download from NYPL.
- Horror - Here is a list of frightening tales to read all alone on a dark and stormy night! If you dare!
- Cryptozoology - Cryptozoology (the study of hidden animals) is the study of animals not yet proven to exist or widely believed to have gone extinct.
- Conspiracies - Here is a list of books about conspiracies. Do some of these books reveal hidden truths that some would prefer to keep secret? Or are they all merely the product of paranoid imaginations? Read them and make up your own mind.
- 15 Books To Read Before They're Movies - Read these books before they are turned into movies! (Original list by Jenilee De La Fuente on indivly.com)
- Poetry at High Bridge - Enjoy these beautifully written poems by different authors of different backgrounds for High Bridge's Poetry Month!
- Children's Books For Reading and Sharing: Poetry from 2011 and 2012
- Multcolib Research Picks - Recent Poetry Award Winners from our colleagues at Multnomah County Library
- How to Write Poetry - For Grades 2-4: Books about writing and reading different types of poetry; also includes some teacher resource titles that include sample lesson plans.
More recommendations on the Poetry Month blog channel.
- Anti-Bullying Resources for All Ages
- Books about Memory
- Tejido y crochet - Lista de libros para tejer con aguja y/o ganchillo. / List of books in Spanish for knitting and crochet.
- Food & Cooking Memoirs - Memoirs by cooks, food writers and food adventurers ranging from M.F.K Fisher's classic, The Gastronomical Me, to Anthony Bourdain's new classic, Kitchen Confidential, to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver's account of her family's efforts to live on home and locally grown food for a year.
- We Can Do It! - Books from the children's collection for girls AND boys, with strong female leads or characters.
- Manga for Children
- Dinosaurs Galore - They're voracious, they're scary, they're amazing! Kids and dinosaurs will never be parted. Here are some particularly delightful dino tales for your littlest T-Rexes. For reading together or sometimes in a group.
- Strong Princesses - What's better than a pretty pretty princess? A princess with brains and a bit of humor to boot! For those kids obsessed with flipperies and finery, here are some princesses worth knowing about.
- Trains! Trains! Trains! - For the discerning toddler desperate for train books of every shape and color, here are some of the best choo-choos on the market today. Enjoy them in a storytime or just one-on-one.
- Oz Books by L. Frank Baum - A list of the 14 novels in the Oz series by the original author, L. Frank Baum.
- LGBT Teen Reads - Books for and about LGBT and teens.
- Alex Awards 2013 = Adult Books for Teen Readers - Every year the Young Adult Library Association (YALSA) publishes lists of books that have been certified by librarians and readers as excellent reads. One of those annual lists is the Alex Awards. The Alex Awards are given to books that have been written for adults but have special appeal for teen readers. So if you are looking for great books that tackle complex subjects you’ve come to the right book list.
- Hot Historical Fiction: Girl Spies, Resistance and Nazis - For lovers of fast paced historical fiction set during WWII and fans of girls who are cool under pressure this list is for you! It offers plenty of ideas for what to read next!
Film & TV
- Films for Foodies - Warning: These food-centric movies feature succulent cooking and dining scenes that may make you hungry.
- Ebert's Essentials: 25 Movies to Mend a Broken Heart - Roger Ebert does not claim that these films will actually cure a broken heart, as only time can do that, but in this volume of "Ebert's Essentials," he presents 25 movies that "made [him] feel very good while watching them."
- True Romance - Best Romances on Film
- Telenovelas 2011-2012 - Lista de telenovelas disponibles en DVD en la Biblioteca Pública de Nueva York. / List of soap operas in Spanish available at the New York Public Library
- Newly cataloged rare items in the Music Division, January 2013 - Recently cataloged items in the Music Division that are considered rare.
Thanks to the listmakers at 115th Street, Ask NYPL, Collection Development, Dongan Hills, Fort Washington, High Bridge, Library for the Performing Arts, Mid-Manhattan Library, Mulberry Street, New Dorp, Roosevelt Island, Seward Park, and South Beach!