CUNY CareerPATH is a low to no-cost program supporting adult workers without jobs and adult workers looking to advance their careers by providing opportunities to earn both industry-recognized credentials and college credits and to find jobs in one of five sectors: Business, Education, Food Service and Hospitality, Healthcare, and Manufacturing.
In order to ensure career advancement and successful college transition, CUNY CareerPATH participants are given career-focused academic and English language skills instruction, occupational training leading to industry-recognized credentials and college credits, academic advisement, career coaching and employment assistance.
The Borough of Manhattan Community College at the City University of New York is offering an Emergency Medical Technician program which is a short term training program that prepares students to take the New York State EMT certification examination.
The program is given during the day and/or evening and is 28 weeks in length (day class meets 2 days a week) or 16 weeks (evening class meets 4 times per week).
The training is both lecture and practical skills lab based. Students will receive lecture based instruction, and will also be given hands on skills instruction to be able to pass the practical section of the New York State EMT exam.
Some required skills training are:
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation)
- Taking Vitals
- Hemorrhage Control
- Neck/Spinal Immobilization
- Patient Transport
Some of the topics covered are:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Shock and Resuscitation
- Emergency Child Birth
- Geriatric Emergencies
- Terrorism and Disaster Response
- Patient Assessment
- Psychiatric Emergencies
- Respiratory Emergencies
There is a total of 39 chapters in the Textbook each covering a different topic/emergency.
Students will sit for 206 hours of instruction prior to being eligible to sit for the NYS EMT exam.
Students MUST maintain a minimum of a 75% average for all tests, quizzes and final exam before they are considered eligible to take the EMT exam.
All applicants must meet the requirements for grant funding and pass the state required physical tests.
New York State Physical Requirements
- Stair climb — 3.5 minutes on a stair-climber at a predetermined rate of speed while wearing a 40 pound weight vest, you can’t hold onto the hand rails. You must pass this exam to be able to move on to the next exam.
- Arm Pull — on a resistance bar a full force for 3 seconds, repeat 3 times.
- Arm Endurance — peddle an arm ergometer (hand bike) with your arms for three minutes at your maximum speed.
- Leg Lift — you will exert maximum force with your legs by squatting and pulling up on a resistance bar to measure leg strength, repeat test 3 times.
18 years old or older
Legal to work in the US
Valid Driver License
Wayne Carey 212-346-8428 email@example.com
Sandra Baez 212-346-8425 firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on free job training programs, please visit Job Search Central online or in person at 188 Madison Avenue and 34th Street.