The City University of New York (CUNY) CareerPATH is a low to no-cost program supporting adult workers without jobs and adult workers looking to advance their careers by providing opportunities to earn both industry-recognized credentials and college credits and to find jobs in one of five sectors: Business, Education, Food Service and Hospitality, Healthcare, and Manufacturing.
In order to ensure career advancement and successful college transition, CUNY CareerPATH participants are given career-focused academic and English language skills instruction, occupational training leading to industry-recognized credentials and college credits, academic advisement, career coaching and employment assistance.
The Teacher Education program at Bronx Community College offers parallel education and training to help students develop academic and professional competencies required for employment or entrepreneurship in private home-based and family day care facilities as well as in public centers.
The Teacher Education CareerPATH program offers:
- A Career PATH Certificate of Professional Development
- Nine college credits in Early childhood Education and related courses, which satisfies the 120 hours of college coursework required for the Child Development Associate (CDA)
- Preparation to master the college placement test and courses
- Job placement and guidance toward entrepreneurship (Family Day Care and Day Care certification and licensing)
- Direct ongoing guidance and advisement in pursuit of career and professional goals
Child Development Associate (CDA)
The Career PATH prepares students for eligibility for the infant/toddler and early childhood CDA credential.
The CareerPATH provides:
- 120 hours of formal training (coursework)
- 36 of the 480 hours required hours of experience working with children
- Documented evidence of practice work with children
- Assistance in contacting the council representative
For more information on requirements for the credential refer to the Council for Professional recognition:
A Pathway to Matriculation
With the CareerPATH Certificate of Professional Development, students pursuing teacher certification can matriculate into Bronx Community College Early Childhood Teacher Education degree program.
- The Associates in applied science (AAS) degree is designed for students seeking employment upon completion of the 2 year degree.
- The Associate of Arts (AA) degree is designed for students who seek automation transfer to a senior college upon graduation to pursue a B.A. and teacher certification
Your Career PATH advisor and staff are available to help with the application process for enrollment and financial aid.
The Teacher Education CareerPATH students are:
- Adults holding a General Equivalency (GED) or high school diploma
- Unemployed or underemployed workers or workers at risk of losing a job
- Head Start personnel requiring further credentials to meet the 2013 regulations
- Early childhood professionals seeking career and professional development in early childhood education
- Adults seeking in Early childhood Education degree
- Adult legally authorized to work in the United States
The Teacher Education CareerPATH program is located in Colston Hall, Room 424, Bronx Community College at 2155 University Avenue, Bronx, NY 10453. For more information, please contact Curtis Hamilton, Outreach Career Development Manager, Office of Career PATH Program 718-289-5100, Ext. 3133 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
More information available at cuny.edu.
For more information on free job training programs, please visit Job Search Central online or in person at 188 Madison Avenue, at 34th Street.